Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Cork
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-04-2013, 12:45   #1
laoisfan
Regular Poster

Default First train from Dublin to Cork (09:35)

Hi

Just curious...why is the first train from Dublin to Cork only arriving into Cork around 09:35 ?

I seem to recall many moons ago when I was in CIT that there were earlier train circa 08:00-08:35am.

Has demand dropped off that much?

It's a pity there is no service that gets in earlier.
laoisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2013, 13:42   #2
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster

Wouldn't say that demand has dropped off but it was never there in the first place and it was fine to operate services lightly loaded back then.

I do think it would be good if the current 07.00 departed at 06.30 and arrived in Cork at 09.00.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2013, 13:51   #3
laoisfan
Regular Poster

Well I was thinking perhaps if there was some way the first train could arrive in no later than say 8:30am - at least that way if you worked in the City Center or perhap Mahon Industrial Park ( cycle ), you would stand a chance.

9:35am is crazy to say the least.

I travel from Ballybrophy to Dublin (Park West) and am looking for options outside of Dublin, preferably where there is a train line. I would even consider driving the short distance down to Thurles to get the train the rest of the way.
Unread 08-04-2013, 13:59   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

This has been discussed before with Irish Rail, there isn't a business case currently to justify a 06:00 departure from Dublin, but the train ID A200 lies unused in expectation of this service running in the future.

There are plenty of trains from Mallow into Cork before 9am

Even in the good times the 07:00 service was rather quiet once past Limerick Junction, first class numbers used to be good which made it pay.

On paper a 06:00 would solve 4 problems

1. Dublin Cork arrive for a 9am start (08:30)
2. Dublin Limerick arrive for a 9am start (8:10 allowing time to get to UL, Plassey etc)
3. Limerick Cork arrive for a 9am start (08:30)
4. Charleville Cork for a 9am start (08:30)

A Charleville Cork service was tried but didn't attract the patronage required to continue
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2013, 14:05   #5
laoisfan
Regular Poster

Thanks Mark for the response, I suspected as much.

Fingers & toes crossed they may re-consider this option in the not too distant future!
Unread 08-04-2013, 14:15   #6
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford

Wasn't Charleville-Cork only trialled for about a year? It tends to take more to build up patronage on a commuter service as people will make plans around it.

One thing that has happened in Cork since the Charleville experiment is much better connectivity of the train station. Back then, it was only really good for trips to the city centre or connections onto the Cobh line. Now, Midleton is also open and there are bus services to UCC and CIT (33K combined students) and Cork Airport (with 4K working there between the airport and the business park).
comcor is offline   Reply With Quote