Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Rail Users Ireland Canteen
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-08-2007, 15:54   #1
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

Default anyone else noticed the website a little slow recently?

When I load forum.platform11.org in Firefox (2.0.0.6) my Java (JRE6u2) applet icon pops up in the taskbar and everything gets really sluggish and then after a while it speeds back up again. I am at the end of a high end DSL connection so I don't think that's the issue.
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2007, 16:18   #2
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Yep, we are still getting some little bugs apparently. Myself and Derek are getting some, but they differ in nature. We're working on a solution.
Unread 03-08-2007, 17:50   #3
Derek Wheeler

I still think there's some sort of virus lurking. As I logged on McAfee just blocked a trojan.
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2007, 17:56   #4
sean

Same thing here:

As I started at the frontpage, McAfee notified me that it had blocked a generic exploit. This has been going on occasionally for several days.

Then, on two occasions both today I think, I got a more specific message saying McAfee had blocked an MS06 006 exploit on the page, and the IE Information Bar notified me that the page wanted to install something, Microsoft Vector Graphics or something. On boththose occasions, the frontpage was corrupted with blank space and missing bits at the top forcing the content down.

However, I have not been able to replicate either condition in the last 4 hours.

It would be a good idea for everyone who's been here the past week, to check their computers for viruses and malware.
sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2007, 20:23   #5
Dave
Regular Poster

For the past week or so every time I log on to this site Norton pops up saying "Norton Internet worm protection has detected and blocked an intrusion attempt."
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2007, 21:25   #6
Derek Wheeler

Pretty much conclusive so. Someone has tried to upset us with something nasty. Thanks for the feedback lads and anyone else with problems please report them here.
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2007, 22:05   #7
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

PLEASE DONT post specific details online as it will only help some other loser to try as well, email me

We are hosting no virus or malware on our server and none of our files have been hacked, modified, deleted or otherwise interfered with

I'm at a loss to figure this out

The exploit being pushed is a .qtl bug in quicktime 7.1.x, get 7.2 to fix, second is a hack on Yahoo messenger 8 again newer version available, there could be other things, firefox and safari side step them

I would pull the site but this thing would hack even the we are down for maintenance page so there is no point
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2007, 17:47   #8
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

After many hours of research found the issue is likely to be a serious exploit in linux which manipulates webpages by rewriting part of them and inserting a javascript to carry out some nasty deeds

Support guys at our hosting company migrated us to another newer server, with a different version of the os which will prevent this problem
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote