Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Kerry
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 15-01-2009, 11:38   #1
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Default New trains finally arrive

Looks like today is the day the direct services to Tralee go over to the new trains, been a few false alarms but looks like it will be tonight

Half of the local Tralee-Mallow services switched over Christmas

Should do wonders for punctuality but will it have enough seats, the 7:15 from Tralee is notorious for overcrowding
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-01-2009, 12:09   #2
sublimity
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Looks like today is the day the direct services to Tralee go over to the new trains, been a few false alarms but looks like it will be tonight

Half of the local Tralee-Mallow services switched over Christmas

Should do wonders for punctuality but will it have enough seats, the 7:15 from Tralee is notorious for overcrowding
Surely they have to increase it to 2 direct services to Tralee weekdays with First Class on both for the new timetable?

I take it the 7:15 from Tralee will be the full 6 coach 22k, Yes?
sublimity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-01-2009, 12:13   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Full 6 coach with full dining catering, breakfast and dinner

A second direct service is needed. There is more than enough business, remember no matter which way Irish Rail try to cover the current mess, they are lost only 1% passengers last year but intercity numbers are significantly up and thats where the really money is made, a intercity passenger is worth between 10 and 20 times a commuter on the balance sheet
Unread 15-01-2009, 16:43   #4
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

Imagine what could be done if instead of subsidising a competing air service at 2.5m euro per annum that IE got the same additional subsidy to further ramp up and improve the speed of rail service...

What would 2.5m a year get if it was just spent on the Kerry line?
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-01-2009, 03:17   #5
Jferb

Well they're really shooting themselves in the foot messing with the 8pm from Dublin, making the journey 20 minutes longer with a 30 minute wait in Mallow! I've been boycotting it since Christmas, unfortunately having to resort to the 22:05 (subsidised!) Ryanair service instead when I can't make the 18:30 service.

We had 2 direct services each way before the new Cork trains were introduced and it's no more than to be expected that that situation be restored, but with the current economic situation I fear pigs may fly before any additional Intercity services are introduced on any line.

With regards to the new trains, I must say I'm sorely disappointed with the seats, just can't seem to get comfortable on them! The Mark 3's will be greatly missed in that regard! The sockets under every table are spot-on though!

Thank god the era of locos being left running all night in Casement Station appears to be at an end. . .
Jferb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-01-2009, 03:24   #6
Jferb

I notice the 7.15 Tralee-Heuston and 18:30 Heuston-Tralee are currently unbookable on the website, I presume this is due to the switchover and hope it's promply resolved..
Unread 16-01-2009, 10:01   #7
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

not that booking on the 715 ever made a difference, i have posted before about how appallingly bad it can be, in one instance an entire carraige was booked out for a school trip (fair enough) but it wasnt on the screen when i went to book my seat.
Unread 18-01-2009, 04:28   #8
Jferb

If I'm getting the 7:15, I use a contract ticket rather than pay a little more on the web - no need to worry bout seating when you're getting on at Tralee! But there's definitely no room for using a reduced-capacity train-set on that service; really, really stupid. . .
Unread 12-03-2009, 12:19   #9
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Is the 1830 Heuston-Tralee operated by a 22K now? I looked at the online booking and it didn't seem to have as many airline-style seats as I remember being on 22Ks.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2009, 12:26   #10
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

It is a 22k, the seat booking crew have come up with a standardised sub set of seating which will be the same on both a Mk3 and a 22k and also allowing for a 22k to be the wrong way around
Unread 12-03-2009, 12:46   #11
Mark

Some lady was on the Gerry Ryan show this morning (I was only listening to it cos he was playing the Band Of Brothers theme) complaining how she cant take a class of wheelchair bound students to Dublin anymore. Turns out they used to remove some seats and tables from the old trains to fit them in but cant do that to the new trains. Gerry asked her if they could get the bus but she said that would be too expensive because they can travel on the train for free. Gerry then said he was trying to get Barry kenny on the line (A friend of the show he claimed) so I switched off at that stage. If anyone heard the outcome let me know.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2009, 12:48   #12
sublimity
Really Regular Poster

Do you think IE could ever diversify the Mk4 fleet? One going to tralee would be nice. Having said that i'm not complaining about the 22k. They are decent
sublimity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2009, 21:54   #13
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Taking an entire class of wheelchair users could be achieved by running a Mark 3 special - but Irish Rial would be carrying the entire cost, not the Department of Social and Family Affairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublimity View Post
Do you think IE could ever diversify the Mk4 fleet? One going to tralee would be nice. Having said that i'm not complaining about the 22k. They are decent
There is only one spare set AFAIK - there isn't enough of them for adding scheduled services to other places. In any case, they haven't been safety cleared for anywhere but Dublin-Cork/Limerick.
Unread 13-03-2009, 17:08   #14
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford

Presumably if and when the time for Dublin-Cork comes down, it could free up more sets. Although I assume Limerick or maybe Galway would be the first priority if they were to be used on a different route.
comcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-03-2009, 17:15   #15
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

At the moment the Mk3 set regularly makes an appearance, plus the gap at 8:30 am gives the Mk4 fleet a little bit of space. Times will come down, means 1 extra free Mk4, that simply becomes the Dublin based spare. By the time that happens the Mk4 fleet will be due a overhaul so the spare will be needed.

Mk4 is cleared only for Dublin Connolly/Heuston to Cork or Limerick, for other reasons it can only run Heuston Cork. In theory it can operate anywhere within Ireland

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 13-03-2009 at 17:18.
Unread 02-07-2009, 23:24   #16
dave wilson
New to the board

Smile MK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
At the moment the Mk3 set regularly makes an appearance, plus the gap at 8:30 am gives the Mk4 fleet a little bit of space. Times will come down, means 1 extra free Mk4, that simply becomes the Dublin based spare. By the time that happens the Mk4 fleet will be due a overhaul so the spare will be needed.

Mk4 is cleared only for Dublin Connolly/Heuston to Cork or Limerick, for other reasons it can only run Heuston Cork. In theory it can operate anywhere within Ireland
Mk4 is cleared for one other route AFAIK.
Dave
dave wilson is offline   Reply With Quote