Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Belfast
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 24-03-2007, 06:09   #1
markus
New to the board

Default Boarding pass and tickets

Hello,

I am a regular visitor to Dublin, but I am now a bit confused. What's the difference between a train-ticket and a boarding pass? I used to go from Dublin to Belfast on a number of occasions and just bought the ticket at one of the machines at Conolly Station. Can I still do that of what do I have to do in order to get on the train?

Thanks for your help
Markus
markus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-03-2007, 10:06   #2
James Shields

As far as I know, you only need a boarding pass on the 16:50 Enterprise, and then only if you're going to Dundalk, and then only if they're bothering to check them.

If you're going to Belfast, you should have no problem.
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-03-2007, 10:07   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The boarding pass is required only under the following condition

You do not have a reserved seat and you are travelling on the 16:50 Dublin Belfast and you are travelling to Dundalk. The 16:50 previously did not serve Dundalk.

If you are travelling to Newry or beyond you are given priority in the queue

On busy weekends eg Six Nations Rugby in Dublin Northern Ireland Railways may employ a boarding pass system on certain trains to manage overcrowding
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-03-2007, 15:09   #4
markus
New to the board

Thank you for your help! Looking forward to my 23rd visit to Ireland next week. Using the trains there is always an experience if you're from the mainland
markus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-03-2007, 15:57   #5
tigger1962

hmm thats not quite true...well in my experience traveling on the 16.50 everyday to Dundalk.

You queue up down the wee corrider for the enterprise like everyone else.. If you are early enough they don't particularly care if you have a "boarding Pass" or not. They do have notices stating that if you don't you are supposed to stay in a seperate queue but there are ways around that.. So far I have not seen prority boarding for Northern Ireland passengers, (mind you it is an election year?) they also let dundalk passengers who did join the seperate queue on to the train about 10mins before departure, noticeable by the running down the platform Except on fridays or bank holiday weekends there are usually enough seats for all.. the train does empty quite a bit at Dundalk.
tigger1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-03-2007, 11:25   #6
Terrontress
Regular Poster

How much extra is it to travel to Newry than to Dundalk?

If someone turned up on spec to get the train, realised they didn't have a boarding pass and wanted to get home, would it be worth their while to pay to Newry but leave at Dundalk?

And given that it is a demand management measure, does a passenger need a boarding pass to travel first class to Dundalk where there is not such demand in the first class carriages?
Terrontress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-03-2007, 13:09   #7
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The cost difference is significant, IE have locked out the booking Dublin Dundalk in both classes, I can bypass that

First class passengers are meant to have a reservation and in all certainly they will be given priority. Key issue here is unless you are in the know there is no notice anywhere of how this works

If you don't get on you will be sent to platform 7 for the Dundalk suburban train
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote