Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Belfast
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-11-2014, 10:30   #1
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Default Enterprise fleet refurbishment

http://www.irishrail.ie/news/improvi...rprise-service
Quote:
Improving your Enterprise Service
28 October 2014

Improving your Enterprise Service

A major upgrade of the Belfast to Dublin ‘Enterprise’ Carriages is currently taking place. The upgrade involves a significant overhaul of the train’s mechanical systems, new interiors, new livery, replacement of the Passenger Information System and a completely new electronic passenger reservation system and CCTV system. This mid-life refurbishment is designed to make rail transport between Ireland’s two largest cities even more comfortable and attractive for our existing and prospective customers.

To enable refurbishment works to these carriages, the regular Enterprise Train will be replaced by Irish Rail Intercity Diesel Railcars (ICR) on the following services from 17th November;

* 07:35hrs Connolly Belfast
* 10:35hrs Belfast Connolly
* 13:20hrs Connolly Belfast
* 16:05hrs Belfast Connolly
* 19:00 Connolly Belfast
* 21:35 Belfast Connolly

The 20:05hrs service from Belfast to Dublin Connolly will be deferred until 21:35hrs until further notice.

There will also be a new 10:30hrs service from Belfast to Connolly on Saturdays only in the run up to the Christmas period.

These services will have reduced 1st Plus and Enterprise capacity. More information is available at www.translink.co.uk/enterpriseupgrade , who are undertaking the refurbishment project on behalf of both companies.
http://www.translink.co.uk/enterpriseupgrade
Quote:
Enterprise Refurbishment Programme

The Enterprise service has long been considered a relaxing way to go to Dublin whether you’re travelling on business or for leisure. Operating eight services in each direction, Monday to Saturday and five journeys in each direction on Sundays, it offers a high quality, value for money service which is convenient, comfortable and a safe travel option.

As part of our commitment to maintaining our high standards of quality and comfort on board, a £12.2million refurbishment program is underway to deliver the following enhancements:

* A significant overhaul of the train’s mechanical systems,
* Modern attractive new interiors / seating
* New 21st Century livery
* Replacement of the Passenger Information System
* A new electronic passenger reservation system
* New CCTV system

The scheme which is financed through the European Union’s INTERREG IVA Programme, managed by the Special EU Programmes Body (SEUPB), with support from the Department for Regional Development, is due to be completed by the end of 2015.

This is our flagship service and last year (2013 – 2014) almost 840,000 people choose to travel to Dublin on the Enterprise. This major overhaul will not only allow us to ensure the long-term reliability of the service but will deliver improved passenger features to enhance overall customer satisfaction and help encourage even more people to use the service.

We plan to carry out the work to the carriages on a rolling programme and will make every effort to minimise the overall disruption for our customers. Our colleagues in Irish Rail will also be carrying out major engineering works on the Enterprise Locomotives as part of this project.

The main overhaul work is now underway. During this time we are substituting one of the Enterprise trains with an Irish Rail Rotem train (On occasion we may also operate some services with our own modern N I Railways fleet).

A revised Enterprise timetable will be in place from Sunday 16th November.In order to minimize the impact of this project on cross border services, timetable frequency and journey times have been maintained.

We will keep our customers updated as this project progresses.

This scheme is a joint project with Irish Rail with Translink N I Railways leading the overall programme. In tandem there is a further EU funded scheme underway to carry out major refurbishment work to the Drogheda Viaduct also due to be completed during 2015. Our colleagues in Irish Rail are leading this project.

Upon completion, both projects will enhance one of our main cross-border transport links, thereby supporting trade and tourism development for a more prosperous and sustainable region.

Background
Enterprise Service first introduced September 1997

Project objectives:
* Engineered to meet the latest industry standards and support the remaining life of the train
* Maintain the safety of the Enterprise trains
* Maintain the reliability of the Enterprise trains
* Ensure that the Enterprise trains have the potential to achieve a full 30 year life
* Ensure that the Enterprise trains meet customers’ requirements and expectations in 2015 and for the next 10-15 years

Key changes: Interiors
* Existing seats retained but overhauled, re-engineered with grab handles, new cushions / fabric in modern design and trim
* New tables with attractive finishes
* New lighting and electrical sockets
* New carpets throughout to new designs
* Window trims repainted
* New window blinds fitted
* New pelmet design to incorporate new electronic seat reservation displays and new lighting units.
* New efficient eco lighting installed
* All interior trims replaced with new design
* Handrail refurbished/replaced to new colours.
* Vestibules/door interiors repainted
* Toilets revamped; Painted in new colours; sink units replaced
* Catering car revamped in new colours/new finishes. Redesigned to better service passenger demands.
* Signage upgrades to meet new standards

Key changes: Exteriors
* Attractive new livery
* Enhanced signage to meet latest EU standards

Key changes: New Systems
* New audio and visual passenger information system.
* New passenger alarm system
* New Public address system
* New Train Management System
* Upgraded saloon and forward facing CCTV
* New electronic Seat Reservation System
Unread 05-11-2014, 10:34   #2
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Any comments?

Am I right that the existing carriages don't have wheelchair accessible toilets?
Unread 05-11-2014, 10:48   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Current toilet is accessible but does not meet current regs
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2014, 08:54   #4
Padna
Regular Poster

I know I'm not sticking to the topic, but do Translink not realise that the Enterprise serves other stations besides Dublin? Twice in their statement they seem to be ignoring this fact:

"The Enterprise service has long been considered a relaxing way to go to Dublin whether you’re travelling on business or for leisure".

"last year (2013 – 2014) almost 840,000 people choose to travel to Dublin on the Enterprise".

The on-board magazine would also give you the impression that this train does not serve anywhere between Dublin and Belfast. It often features articles on events and attractions in the two cities, but I've never seen anything in it about Drogheda, Dundalk, Newry, Portadown or Lisburn.
Padna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2014, 15:32   #5
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster

Is there really much point in forward facing CCTV when the 201 won't have it.

Will the Mark IV's be the only rolling stock without some form of external CCTV after this?

There seems to be a lot of "repainting" rather that refurbishing of certain aspects. Something which may cost more long term.

Whats a Train Management System?

Last edited by Jamie2k9 : 06-11-2014 at 15:36.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2014, 16:01   #6
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Mk4 DVT has a camera

At the moment Enterprise is old fashioned, so to change the AC settings or check a toilet you have to check each coach control panel. Train management system would show you the status of all systems across the train in one place.

Mk4 and 22k have this as standard

In theory it would allow maintenance to monitor the train in the field and react to issues.
Unread 14-05-2015, 11:00   #7
RHanaway
New to the board

Default Carriage down

For several days this week the enterprise seems to be one carriage down.
When it reaches Drogheda it's full with people standing between carriages.
Does anyone know if this has to do with the refurbishment?
As a result many of the commuters have needed to get the 8:35.
RHanaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-05-2015, 11:05   #8
Jamie2k9

Missing a first class coach, one of the new sets will likely be back soon enough
Unread 14-05-2015, 13:56   #9
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

A first class coach is missing. That said this should have no impact on crowding as you can only stand in first if you have a first class ticket.

Expect to see a C3K train on the 06:50 ex Belfast from late May
Unread 14-05-2015, 15:15   #10
Jamie2k9

Quote:
A first class coach is missing. That said this should have no impact on crowding as you can only stand in first if you have a first class ticket.

Expect to see a C3K train on the 06:50 ex Belfast from late May
What happened to doing it one by one?

They have one full set out and around 5 coaches from a spare set, surly they can't have them all completed already?
Unread 14-05-2015, 21:05   #11
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

6 x C3k on 0650, 1235 and 1805 from Belfast and 0935, 1520 and 2050 from Dublin commencing May 25th.

1900 will operate to an accelerated schedule from 1st of June arriving in Belfast from June 1st. From the same date the 2135 from Belfast is being advanced to 2115, will no longer serve Lisburn and is due to arrive in Dublin at 2312.
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2015, 11:05   #12
pculbert
New to the board

Default SEATING - TRAYS

I used the refurbished Enterprise train yesterday for the first time, sitting in the seats without a table. When I tried to pull the tray down to put a coffee on, I found it would not lower past my stomach! I accept I am slightly overweight but I have never had an issue on any other NI train nor indeed on the previous Enterprise trains. I had to use the tray on the adjoining seat. I have emailed Translink and am awaiting a response (I suggested some of their staff sit in these seats and try using the trays).

Has anyone else experienced similar?
pculbert is offline   Reply With Quote