Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Cork
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 12-01-2007, 14:39   #341
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

For those who like this kind of stuff the loco on the 7.00 form Cork was Oranjie.
Unread 13-01-2007, 13:13   #342
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford

I was on the 21:00 Dublin-Cork last night. It appeared to be set 4007 (though, I'm not 100% certain of how to look for this), so that may indicate that it has now entered service.

The PIS wasn't working. It made announcements in Heuston, but with no visual display. After this, there were no PIS announcements (audio or video), although all stops were clearly called by the train manager as was the welcome aboard message after every stop. The map by the door stopped updating after we got to Mallow (Why have these been hidden where nobody can see them anyway?).

Unlike my last experience on the 21:00, where the train manager was nowhere in sight, this one was very thorough. She made regular patrols of the train, tying back curtains, removing newspapers and rubbish from tables and overhead racks.

No trolley service and the snack bar closed after Limerick Junction.

Also, when they've made such an effort to make the train manager look so professional, what's the idea with the ticket checker still being in the grubby old irish Rail sweater?
Unread 13-01-2007, 18:13   #343
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
No trolley service and the snack bar closed after Limerick Junction.
Quote:
Also, when they've made such an effort to make the train manager look so professional, what's the idea with the ticket checker still being in the grubby old irish Rail sweater?
Both issues was brought to the attention of the manager in charge earlier this week
Unread 13-01-2007, 20:29   #344
MrX
Really Regular Poster

I honestly think that they need to do something about the ticket checkers' uniforms. They make them look like over-grown grumpy school kids.

I would dread going to work if I had to wear something like that. I can't see why they can't be provided with nicer uniforms. It'd do wonders for morale too I think.
Unread 15-01-2007, 11:56   #345
2Funki4Wheelz

Its first day on the new timetable and the 5.15am Cork-Dub was 7 minutes late into Port but arrived in Heuston pretty much on time, give or take a minute or two by the time I saw the Heuston clock!

Bar & Cafeteria closed 5 mins after the Port stop as always.
Unread 15-01-2007, 21:56   #346
kevin
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX View Post
I honestly think that they need to do something about the ticket checkers' uniforms. They make them look like over-grown grumpy school kids.

I would dread going to work if I had to wear something like that. I can't see why they can't be provided with nicer uniforms. It'd do wonders for morale too I think.
Every ticket checker I saw today was decked out in the new uniform, tie and all.

Even on my 06:30 Carlow-Heuston.

kevin
Unread 16-01-2007, 09:23   #347
2Funki4Wheelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Every ticket checker I saw today was decked out in the new uniform, tie and all.
Well the guy on the 5:15 Cork-Dub yesterday and today had an old looking jumper with 'unsightly bobbling' as the washing powder ads used to say. I see a mix of the shirt & tie and the jumpers (I know I'd be in jumpers in the winter). I'm sure the staff member has to put in a request for replacement clothes?
Unread 16-01-2007, 09:33   #348
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Offically the new uniform hit yesterday its got green in the tie to match the intercity livery
Unread 16-01-2007, 17:43   #349
MrX
Really Regular Poster

Apparently the 07:30 this morning ex-cork had an orange loco. One of my collegues commented that it was a "new train coupled to an old train there was an orange carriage on the front"
Unread 16-01-2007, 18:05   #350
hhf8
Regular Poster

one of the enterprise's now has a CDE liveried loco
Unread 17-01-2007, 17:05   #351
sean

That's been routine for ages now.
Unread 18-01-2007, 13:19   #352
CafedeLuxe
New to the board

Had my first ever experience of the new train last week and was quite impressed overall - my comparison is with the UK; I'm based in London and travel intercity extensively.

I was on the 09.30 Cork - Dublin on 12th; left on the minute and arrived on the minute - admittedly after a leisurely 2.45 journey time. A few observations:
- I upgraded from standard to first; for 11.50 euro extra on what is a very cheap walk-on single fare by UK standards this was excellent value (cf London to Stoke-on-Trent standard class single at that time - 91 pounds. Sort of comparable distance; but half the journey time(!)).

- Very comfortable seating although the sliding door behind me was permanently open and, eventually, draughty. I eventually asked the Woman in Black if it could be closed. 'It's because people are getting on' Hmm. This was LJ and it had been like that since Cork. A second request via the ticket collector eventually got some action from WiB which was to move me to seats in the middle of the coach but, I subsequently noticed, the door also to be taken off automatic. I think it was open more to facilitate the catering staff service who were frequently going back and forth.

- I didn't avail myself of the breakfast (though it looked good) but had a coffee later (good service, ghastly coffee). Catering announced its close-down at Kildare, I think.

- Ride was a bit rocky throughout but I understand that this was more due to the track.

- Automatic announcements were audible and made after leaving every station; train crew station approach announcements were also audible but a bit 'last minute'.

- I noticed some impressive-looking station redevelopment/ refurbs going on (Thurles) but bigger platform signs are needed - they're a bit too discreet, and also seemed to vary in style between stations and surely the word 'station' isn't really necessary as well?

-The LUAS was also impressive going over to Connolly - but nobody had asked me at Cork when I bought my ticket whether I wanted an add-on so I had to fumble around with coins.

-Later the same day my mother travelled down on the Enterprise (16.00 ex-Belfast) which was over 30 minutes late.....
Unread 20-01-2007, 21:52   #353
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Default 20-1-2007

Once again a case study in how not to run a railway

14:00 Heuston Cork set 4007
Arrived Heuston 13:37 stood in the queue to 13:52 they appeared to be having serious problems with the pre departure tests.

Boarded and had to eject someone out of my seat, the yellow shirts made no attempt to block people from boarding the reserved coach without a reservation

There was a coffee stain on the side of the table in C33

Catering trolley didn't roll until after Portarlington and was brought through the train without serving anyone before working from the back. No passenger for Thurles in coaches C or D had enough time for a snack from the trolley.

Coach 4135 was showing a systems fault which is typically a broken toilet.

There was no safety or evacuation notice on doors D & C of coach 4137, the one at the other end was pealing off the wall

The electronic map was most confused when the train was just south of Ballybrophy the map had us 16 miles away in Portlaoise

Train host was not visible

And why oh why do train staff have to smoke at the platform?

17:00 Heuston Cork
No Mk4 available so a push pull Mk3 was used resulting in a 15+ minute delay by Thurles

17:30 Cork Heuston set 4007
Arrived 9 minutes down in Thurles

Boarded and had to eject someone out of my seat

Catering trolley was locked up in the buffet which closed at Portarlington

The coffee stain on the side of the table in C33 was still there

Coaches 4407, 4135, 4137 & 4138 where all showing a systems fault which is typically a broken toilet, which I can confirm in 4137.

Interestingly we slowed to a crawl at Portlaoise as if to drop off or collect a package, the train in front was beyond Portarlington at this stage so no reason to slow

So once again IE can't provide a proper service and the ride has again deteriorated to the appalling

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 20-01-2007 at 23:53.
Unread 21-01-2007, 19:37   #354
Derek Wheeler

And the roast potatoes in Hayes hotel Thurles, were like bullits. So there!

Told you, Mark, you should've done what I did....had more beer. Makes an IE train tolerable

Last edited by Derek Wheeler : 21-01-2007 at 19:43.
Unread 21-01-2007, 23:54   #355
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Well given the Mk4's tendency to breakdown you wouldn't want to be tippsy in case the need to 'detrain' in a field.
Unread 22-01-2007, 09:07   #356
ACustomer
Really Regular Poster

A relative of mine went to Cork yesterday on a CDE. She just happened to say to me that for the first time in her life she felt sick on a train. It wasn't a case of back-to-the-engine syndrome which affects some people. She remarked that the train "swayed a lot". There has been a lot said about the ride problems of the CDEs. Any other reports of them inducing nausea?
Unread 22-01-2007, 09:13   #357
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Not the first report

Out of the 8 sets only 4006 has a decent ride, the rest are not much better than before

Advice is coaches C and D generally smoother
Unread 22-01-2007, 15:33   #358
2Funki4Wheelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
And why oh why do train staff have to smoke at the platform?
A bit surprised this still goes on, considering most places won't let their staff smoke outside the front door of the premises or sometimes even be seen smoking in uniform in public view as part of the 'appearance' of the company.

And why does Derek's sig still say 'nearly'. 'Nearly' never did it.
Unread 22-01-2007, 15:49   #359
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

I've been told not to indentify the staff involved or the exact locations but have witnesses, its a image thing and it needs to be dealt with
Unread 29-01-2007, 09:49   #360
2Funki4Wheelz

5.15 Cork Dub this morning - door jammed open 2/3rds of the way on carriage E back end. Glad the Xmas tummy has slimmed back down and I could wiggle by. I love those doors