Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Longford-Maynooth-Dunboyne-Clonsilla-Dublin line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 16-10-2008, 12:34   #1
crypto

Default Reilly's level crossing

A recent letter in the Herald below. What are the chances of the level crossing being closed, given the apparent scale of the local opposition?

http://www.herald.ie/opinion/letters...s-1478446.html

Don't pass over the flyover plans

Friday September 19 2008

In response to A Perry's letter (Herald Letters, September 12), I am disappointed that Cabra Community Council are against the proposed flyover bridge at Reilly's Bridge, Ratoath Road, Cabra.

I work for Irish Rail and operating the manual level crossing gates at Reilly's Bridge is part of my duties.

As A Perry correctly points out, over 13,000 vehicles use the level crossing every day. Also, up to 90 trains can pass over the crossing on an given day, which can lead to traffic congestion.

Irish Rail are proposing to increase the number and frequency of trains, as they plan to introduce the Dart to the Maynooth rail line and re-open the Dunboyne rail line by 2012. A flyover bridge would be a better alternative.

Also, my colleagues and I sometimes have to deal with uncooperative drivers refusing to stop when a train is coming and incidents of anti-social behaviour.

Although, I can sympathise with A Perry's position, I also have to think of my own health and safety and that of my colleagues, as long as a level crossing remains at this location.

For that reason, I'm for the flyover.

M SHANLEY DUBLIN 15
crypto is offline   Reply With Quote