Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > DART
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 01-12-2006, 10:37   #1
drykin3
New to the board

Default Portmarnock Station Parking

The situation regarding car parking at Portmarnock station has reached crisis levels. On weekday mornings, the car park is compltely full by 7.20. This has not been helped by Irishrail's decision to place an ESB substation (needed to pwer 8-carriage darts) at the side of the car park, taking up approximately 20 spaces. In addition, a mobile phone mast has also reduced parking. The car park was re-designed when the substation was installed in a manner that would lead you to surmise that it was done by a blind monkey on the back of a beer mat (about 40 spaces were taken out and numerous kerbs were put in place that serve no purpose)

The car park at Portmornock is the only decent sized one in the area. Malahide is full by just after seven and there's no reral parking at either HJ, Raheny, Kilbarrack etc. As well as residents of Portmarnock, commuters from Malahide, Swords, Kinsealy etc drive to Portmarnock.

Commuters arriving after 7.20 have had to park in any available (i.e. non-designated) spaces, either around the perimeter of the car park or at the front of the car park where up to 40 cars park on a daily basis. About two months ago, Irishrail painted double yellow lines all around the outside the car park, at the aforementioned kerbs. They also hired a private firm who put up signs warning that car would be clamped if parked in "non-designated spaces". This did not happen until yesterday when 11 cars (including my own) were clamped. While my car was not in a car space, it was not obstructing access for any other vehicles. The release fee was €90. So, in one day, the clamping company (ncps.ie) took in €900 in parking fees. When the ncps employee arrived he did not have any change so I had to wait around until a taxi passed by and was able to change money for him.

Two years ago, I started emailing a number of local politicians on this issue. I have now done so on three separate occasions, the last being about a month ago. The response from every one (9 the last time) has been completely unsatisfactory. I have written letters to Roger Tobin, Elain Metcalfe and Joe Beardmore in Irishrail on this and other issues. Again, the responses have been unsatisfactory.

While there is a plan to increase the size of the car park (part of the Portmarnock draft LAP, developer has to provide spaces as part of planning conditions), I have been told that Irishrail are considering building a multi-story car park (creating only 40 extra spaces!) and have applied to the Minister for permission to charge comuters for parking. The car park provided by the developer is at least 18 months away. Between now and then, the private clamping firm stand to take in €1000 each weekday if they continue yesterday's actions.
drykin3 is offline   Reply With Quote