Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > All stops to Thurles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 19-09-2007, 09:49   #1
plant43

Default Capacity?

Hi,

I'm moving house and one of the areas I'm looking at is Newbridge. What is capacity like on this line? Is there much chance of getting a seat on the train in the morning from Newbridge?

Thanks,
N
plant43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-09-2007, 10:09   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

If the train starts in Kildare or Newbridge odds are you will get a seat, if it starts from elsewhere its luck of the draw depending on the phases of the moon. Going home its a free for all but its not too bad, you will get a seat on most going home once you are in Heuston with 10 minutes to spare.

It can get uncomfortable beyond Hazelhatch, but nothing as bad as the Maynooth or Northern lines.

Be wary of the car park charges coming soon and Newbridge station is remote from just about everything. If you can avoid it live closer to the city, it will save you heaps of time. It is the least punctual line going and the cost per mile to travel Dublin Newbridge is the highest of any, not forgetting the chaos of the Luas or 90 bus when everyone scrambles to escape Heuston
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-09-2007, 10:13   #3
plant43

Thanks for the reply. The houses I'm looking at are about five minutes walk from the station so parking won't be an issue.

Do you envisage that the four track upgrade will make a huge difference to this line?
Unread 19-09-2007, 10:41   #4
Edward Ryan
Regular Poster

Are any of the Kildare/Newbridge trains eight carrages at peak times?

Ed
Edward Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-09-2007, 11:02   #5
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

4 track will make squat difference really, slightly more trains, slightly faster but nothing ground breaking. It will mean 8 coach suburban trains are possible

The original plans to rebuild Newbridge station where scrapped due to a lack of funds and the DART to Kildare was pulled by of all people the Dublin Transport Office

We have heard absolute horror stories from Newbridge, Irish Rail management have not delivered on a whole heap of promises, so we can't recommend it
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2007, 12:55   #6
MidlandDeltic
New to the board

I think the four track will make a difference to overall reliability.

I currently am among those on the 0651 (50/49? depending on which timetable you read) from Portlaoise - 0535 ex Limerick. This train is often 5 minutes plus late at Portlaoise, but as a result gets stuck behind stopping trains from Newbridge / Kildare, and as a result can lose 20 minutes from Sallins into Heuston depsite the padding in that section. The existance of additional lines should improve the situation dramatically.

Hopefully at the same time the signalling will be improved to proper multi-aspect signalling standards to allow closer headways than the current absolute block system. The current system cannot cope with the 5 minute intervals asked of it out of Heuston in the evening peak - witness the delays on the 1805 when either the 1750 or 1800 off Heuston are not perfect - although last week the 1805 made a bid for freedom and left before the 1800, thus delaying it all the way to Portlaoise (god knows where the 1825 ended up). The Cork driver was less than impressed by the sounds of the horn at Portlaoise as he passed to local waiting to turn back.

Sean
MidlandDeltic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2008, 09:53   #7
plant43

I've been doing this commute for a few weeks now and so far it's been pretty good. In the morning I get the 0705 this is usually in Heuston a few minutes early (it's timetabled as 0752 but I've been clocking it at 0745-ish recently). Then I hope on my fold-up bike and cycle off to Clonskeagh, usually I'm at my desk by about 0820. In the evening I leave work at 1630, get down to Heuston for 1700 and get the 1710 train to Athlone. This has been fairly reliable so far, only a few minutes delay here and there. Usually I'm home by 1745, which isn't too bad.

The trains don't seem to be that full, but I usually try to get the intercity trains with the limited stops. I have so far mostly avoided the commuter trains. It certainly makes a nice change from the over-crowded Northern route that I used to use.