Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Events, Happenings and Media
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 25-09-2008, 13:41   #1
MOH
Really Regular Poster

Default [Article] Iarnród Éireann refuses to answer queries on cost of clampers

From today's Irish Times

Quote:
THERE WERE robust exchanges at the Oireachtas Transport Committee yesterday as Iarnród Éireann refused to answer questions on how much the company was paying clampers to enforce its new pay-parking regime.

The company said estimates it would earn €1 million in parking revenue and pay the clampers €2 million a year were inaccurate.

Some 13,000 parking spaces at 37 rail stations across the State are to be subject to a charge of €2 per day or €8 per week.

Those who buy a weekly ticket, however, will not be guaranteed a parking space as spaces will remain on a "first come, first served" basis.

Outlining the company plans yesterday, CIÉ group property manager Niall Grogan cited financial confidentiality in refusing to tell the committee how much the clamping company would be paid.

This led to protests from committee members, with Fine Gael transport spokesman Fergus O'Dowd vowing he would "not accept the culture" of the State company. "If you are not going to be transparent on this . . . then I am not satisfied", he said, adding: "You get taxpayers' money."

Earlier Mr O'Dowd told company managing director Dick Fearn that commuter fares to Dublin from north of Balbriggan were almost double those between Balbriggan and Dublin. The customers already felt "ripped off".

Labour's Tommy Broughan said the company had engaged in a public relations disaster, and had "wiped out all the good will" which had arisen in recent years.

However, Mr Fearn insisted "like any property owner, we are going to decide how best to use that property". While the introduction of parking charges would not make any money this year or next, they would be a long-term asset.

The charges, which began at Dart stations and the Northern Line this month, are to be rolled out by December 1st.
Unread 25-09-2008, 14:55   #2
Mark

Rail Users Ireland's newsletter got a mention! Well done.

Quote:
The headline on the current edition of Rail Users Ireland is “Park and be taken for a ride”. It clearly sees the charges as an additional stealth tax of €500 on top of the cost of the rail ticket, which is grotesquely unfair. Even at this stage, is this not something that should be reconsidered and reversed by Iarnród Éireann? Another Government would certainly look at reversing it because people are so angry about it.
Unread 25-09-2008, 15:45   #3
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Fearn says they were in correspondence with local user groups.

I have spoken to people who volunteered to join a Maynooth line group when they were first advertised but have never heard a thing back from IE.

Has anyone ever gotten onto one of these mythical committees or know someone on them?
Unread 25-09-2008, 15:59   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Similar report from Northern Line as well

"Due to lack of interest"

Actually Irish Rail will welcome you with open arms and give you the full, your input is important spiel, but will they deliver anything as a result, nope.

Fergus O'Dowd makes a very good point, IE get a very large amount of cash from the state a little accountability would be nice.
Unread 25-09-2008, 16:03   #5
Mark

Quote:
Dick Fearn: Like any other owner of property, it is our responsibility to decide how we will use that property to the best benefit of our business.
How much say have the Local Authorities had in this I wonder?
Unread 25-09-2008, 16:05   #6
Mark

Quote:
I have received correspondence from Mr. Mark Hennessy raising queries about bus services in his local area. I note this and will forward it to the Department of Transport for a reply. Is that agreed? Agreed.
Last but not least eh Mark?
Unread 25-09-2008, 16:48   #7
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Last but not least eh Mark?
Indeed, it was far more than questions about local bus services.

The point of addressing those question to the Committee was so that they could ask those questions of the muppets in the DoT, not forward the thing to the muppets in the DoT so they could answer
Unread 25-09-2008, 17:15   #8
ThomasJ

Quote:
In response to customer demand, a monthly rate of €30 will also be introduced shortly, offering even greater discounts.
Well theres a suprise a month of arriving at your station and finding out theres no parking spaces left!
Unread 25-09-2008, 17:53   #9
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Good luck saving up €30 in coins to feed the meter...
Unread 26-09-2008, 13:47   #10
tigger1962

There's no demand at our station, I've started seeing cars clamped and a number of people have already stopped using the train, usually.. by 8am there are cars double parked but now its still half empty by 8am! so where are they all gone to, I don't see any increase in street parking and people I used to see on the train every day for the last few years have gone! IE definately have shot themselves in the foot with this one!... though on a good note, the trains are not packed like sardines any more
Unread 26-09-2008, 14:25   #11
tigger1962

Default northern commuter group

I made enquiries on how to get on to this group before and I was told that they already had enough members but I have yet to actually talk to these people even though i have asked to meet with one of them! now it is stated tha they didn't have enough interest, I doubt that! i'd say they had too much interest and were afraid of what would be said.

Since IE have a monopoly on Rail services how can financial information be commercially sensitive, they have no competition or are they afraid that their years of hoodwinking the public will come back and bite them?
Unread 26-09-2008, 15:02   #12
Mark

It was the commercial sensitivety between the car parking tenderers that IE are referring to.

i.e. they may not have chosen the cheapest tender. Cue lawsuits etc.
Unread 26-09-2008, 15:37   #13
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
It was the commercial sensitivety between the car parking tenderers that IE are referring to.

i.e. they may not have chosen the cheapest tender. Cue lawsuits etc.
Well Irish Rail always hide the costs but its very easy get them. Back in the day they tried to hide the DART refurbishment contract but the EU journal had the details required to prove it

For the number of spaces available we can determine the income fairly easily. But in real terms the amount is very small, less than 1% of total income, in the real world it would not even pay for a mile of track on the WRC
Closed Thread