View Single Post
Unread 26-04-2008, 14:37   #7
clockwork orange
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
There is no need to be rude, we have access to the internal Irish Rail fares matrix and we know all about the biased fare structure

Drogheda - Connolly day return is 16.40 (not on Friday)
Connolly - Drogheda day return is 20.00 (actually Connolly cant even issue a day return to Drogheda since it doesn't even exist)

http://www.railusers.ie/passenger_in... stage1=Submit
http://www.railusers.ie/passenger_in... stage1=Submit

The classic example
Tipperary - Heuston 21.50-27.00
Heuston - Tipperary 46.50-55.00 depending on day

Poor training and ignorant staff are the primary reason passengers get charged higher fares than they should pay. The original poster got caught out through a quirk in the system which should never have happened clearly the wrong code was entered into the machine, weekly and monthly tickets are always the same price regardless of direction, singles and returns are not.

If the clerk in Dun Laoghaire isn't paying attention the ticket is issued as Dun Laoghaire Drogheda using the code for that, however since the passenger actually started in Drogheda the ticket should have been Drogheda Dun Laoghaire and issued with the code correct for that since it could be different, its sloppy and in worst case leaves the passenger open to being declared a fare evader

The discounted fares are different and require a different code to be entered into the machine (A61 vs A190) if you get a useless clerk, e.g. Mr playstation portable feet on office table celtic Jersey no namebadge (who is well known to me and several other posters) for instance you might as well forget getting anything remotely clever and the wrong code goes in.

We got a result on a passenger being overcharged last week in this kind of scenario, over 30 euro was involved

I have regularly had to provide the ticket clerk with the station and ticket codes to issue my ticket, when its got to that point you really have to question the training and selection process followed since the default answer is the ticket I want doesn't exist, the more you persist the more aggressive and abusive the response

The first ticket price, i.e. 16.40, is a different ticket type to the 20.00 fare. Tickets of the SAME TYPE are the same price regardless of which station is entered first. I acknowledge that you are probably right about the Tipperary-Hesuton situation (I admit I don't know much about those fares) but in this case at least you'll find I am correct.

No offence to the various posters on here but if whoever started this thread wants a comprehensive answer to what is the cheapest way the price their journey he/she should ask one of the clerks at Drogheda. I suggest that you phrase the exact question above to one of the clerks when you have some spare time to discuss it with him/her, rather than relying on the information given out here.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote