View Single Post
Unread 22-07-2006, 21:03   #2
James Shields

Well, if you bought a house in the expectation that a new station will open in a few months, I'm afraid you've been sold a lemon.

The Drogheda development plan can be found here:

http://www.louthcoco.ie/index.aspx?d...eid=3&secid=44

It contains the following:

Quote:
5.6 Drogheda North Railway Station

Under the auspices of the North Drogheda Environs Plan adopted by Louth County
Council, provision is made for the creation of a new commuter railway station
immediately to the north of the Borough boundary. This station, if implemented would
cater for both existing Borough residents and also new residents living in the extensive
development lands within the North Drogheda Environs. A new station at this location
would be of significant benefit to Drogheda Borough in alleviating congestion from traffic
on the Northside accessing the existing rail station as well as in the immediate environs of
the existing station. The creation of this station may necessitate the extension of some
services from the Borough including road and pedestrian links. Drogheda Borough
Council will co-operate with the railway operator and adjacent local authority in order to
realise the establishment of a Drogheda North Railway Station.
Essentially, this is saying that the town council will cooperate with IE should IE want to build a north Drogheda station. On the plus side, there is land reserved for such a station, which I believe would be off the Termonfeckan Road where there is an old spur to the former cement factory.

There are a couple of problems with it. The track over the Boyne viaduct is single track, so there are a limited number of train paths over that line, As the new station would be on a spur, existing trains from Dundalk couldn't stop there, so trains serving the new station would be ones that currently terminate in Drogheda, but it would require increased traffic over the viaduct.

I expect it will eventually get built, but it is likely to be several years off. There is significant development expected on the northern envirns, so the council would do well to start levying developments on the north of the town towards the cost of the station.
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote