View Single Post
Unread 01-10-2008, 13:01   #13
Laois Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnestGoodheart View Post
It would be nice if the could even manage to provide more than 55%/60% thought wouldn't it.

At the end of the day, I spent enough bloody money on that service to be entitled to a seat for an 80 minute journey.

The fact that IE can send out DARTS with 90% of the seats available several times during the day yet cannot manage 1 or two trains coming from the south show their lack of respect for the customer and operational know how for their business.
With respect, you got where you were going. Breakdowns will always occur. Operators do not have fleets of spare trains sitting there to cover every possible eventuality.

DART is a very different operation - an order of magnitude greater. The logisitics of joining and dividing trains on every other trip to match demand exactly is doomed to failure, creating unreliability and additional costs. In the UK, South West Trains bit that bullet in (I think) 2004, running full length trains across the whole of the day, together with reviewing the timetable; there operational performance went up dramatically.

Finally, what "operational know how" do you have? Which would you prefer - to stand, or the train be cancelled altogether? Your post hints that something may have gone wrong elsewhere. It happens. Decisions have to be made in the interests of the majority of travellers - and as Mark G said in his post, the least worst effect is on the Rosslare line. One occasion where I agree with him!

LC
Laois Commuter is offline   Reply With Quote