View Single Post
Unread 01-10-2008, 12:51   #12
Laois Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJ View Post
The key word here laoiscommuter being empty and by the way many of those empty services are not going to the depot.

Out of interest, do you agree with the 15-20 % increase in annual tax tickets
I would suggest "some" rather than "many". BUt I don't have access to the working timetable, so can't coment. Do you? My comment was aimed at the generality of posts on that subject.

As to the fare increase, whether I agree or not is irrelevent. I can construct arguements both ways fairly easily. My guess is that CIE and/or it's constituents hedge a significant part of their fuel on an annual basis to coincide with the financial year to allow for budget stability, and given the last year a rise is inevitable, even if the current spot price has dropped. OPEC have got used to these price levels now, so if prices drop much more a cut in supply is likely to boost them again.

I haven't the time at the moment to do a price calculation, but assuming 47 5-day weeks I suspect that a commuter travelling into Heuston and using the 90/91 into the city will be better with an annual ticket even at full cost, whereas someone from Howth Jun to the IFSC may not be. That is the nature of zonal fares, and perhaps point to point ones should be offered as well - but that would be a complication. I have just renewed my annual (point to point) Taxsaver, so am covered for the next year. What also should be remembered is that (a) the Taxsaver scheme means that the actual price paid is effectively around 26/47% less than the headline fare, so in practice will still be cheaper, and (b) compared to the UK season ticket fares here are cheap, even with the devaluation of Sterling. I posted on another thread somewhere a comparison between Portarlington - Heuston and Sheffield - Nottingham.

The amount of the rise? I haven't access to their accounts. But experience shows that inflation in the transport industry tends to be significantly more than any headline rates, as insurance, fuel and wages tend to be above that rate, and are the major daily costs. The question is, over a period of 5-10 years, have the prices kept up with inflation? If not, this is catch up time - it comes to us all in the end.

LC
Laois Commuter is offline   Reply With Quote