View Single Post
Unread 16-07-2012, 18:34   #17
sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by plant43 View Post
I don't think that it should mean the end of on train ticket vendors but I think the system needs to be changed to be more consistent.

In other countries (I am thinking of France here in partcular) if you board the train without a ticket, you can purchase one off the on board ticket inspector (for a supplement) if you present yourself to them immediately after boarding. If you don't do this and a ticket inspector finds you without a ticket then you get a fine. I don't see why this system couldn't be brought in for Irish Rail.
I'm with the Senator on this one - in the New York area in the U.S. Metro North and Long Island Railroads do on-train ticket sales as a matter of routine - but there's a significant penalty, 10-20% for doing that, v.s. quoted prices at the station, and I think there are discounts of about 5% for buying ticketes online, or at least there used to be. Note that the online ticket shop IIRC is just a mail order service, there's none of that variable pricing nonsense as they already have a simple but effective peak/off-peak system that works very well.
sean is offline   Reply With Quote