View Single Post
Unread 06-04-2018, 00:51   #1
danm14
New to the board

Default Can't buy the ticket I need

I wish to travel from Dundalk to Kildare.

Normally I would buy a ticket from the ticket office in Dundalk before travel instead of buying online - as a student it's €25.90 for a return in the station vs €38.76 online.

On this occasion, I arrive at Dundalk and the ticket office is closed. The ticket machine does not have Kildare listed, just the stations on the lines from Connolly.

It's €12.86 more expensive to buy the ticket online, but even if it was the same/similar/lower price, maybe I only have cash and no money in the bank, or maybe I'm not sure what day I need to return so I need an open return, or it's less than two hours before the last train of the day so the first service I can buy a ticket for is tomorrow.

It's €13.10 more expensive to buy separate tickets for each leg of the journey.

What is the correct thing to do in this situation?
Can I board the train without a valid ticket because I tried to buy one but couldn't without paying more and/or being restricted to returning a specific day?
Do I need to buy the more expensive and/or more restricted ticket, and somehow claim back the extra cost and/or have the validity extended to that of a walk-up ticket?
Or do I just need to swallow the extra cost and/or restrictions, unless I can go to the station earlier in the day when the ticket office is open?

Last edited by danm14 : 06-04-2018 at 00:53.
danm14 is offline   Reply With Quote