View Single Post
Unread 08-11-2008, 20:53   #9
jpsartre
New to the board

spot on with the bird's eye view of the proposed road and rail line intersection

You're really skeptical about the catchment area eh? Maybe if you used the approach roads from this side of town at rush hour you might not be such a doubting Thomas.

A station there will also serve a growing local population in the immediate vicinity of the site . Notice the area in magenta adjacent to the proposed station on the regen. pdf. This will be the site of a new 80 acre industrial estate. Up to 3000 jobs will be created here eventually,http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Li...-to.4484057.jp. I'm sure the consortium behind it could be persuaded to contribute something to the cost a station there. (The local councils are very good at that kind of thing ..soliciting contributions etc.). It would certainly put their development on the map nationally. Limerick37 also have big plans for that area around knockalisheen. Sure the station planned for Moyross would probably suffice but its a big area and I wouldn't be in favour of bringing traffic into the new village centre either if there were a consensus on the park & ride facility.

The rail option does't really involve circling the city. I mean I know how it looks on a map but it only takes ten minutes, moving at a snails pace, to get from colbert station to that part of town. Try taking a bus from Colbert station to Moyross at peak periods or from the Parkway or from the Ballysimon road! (These locations along with Corbally should also have platforms on this line).
And as for bus corridors?

Arup, as you know, have been busy drawing up plans/proposals for so-called Green Routes, (bus corridors to you and me) around the city on behalf of the council. I think its a great idea but you need the roads to do it. Recently, the proposed bus lane in Raheen was knocked back by city councillors, officially because the roads there were too narrow to accomodate dedicated bus lanes. The council's plan for a green route,http://www.limerickcity.ie/GreenRout...le,7953,en.pdf, from Moyross to the city centre does not address the problem of cars coming from outside the city. That problem remains the same and my guess is it they who are largely responsible for the traffic problems, though of course they can't be blamed in the absence of a credible public transport system. If you are a bit skeptical about the catchment area for a P&R then I'm doubly skeptical as to the possibility of a QBS between Moyress & the City Centre via the Cratloe road, Thomondgate and Sarsfield bridge. Traffic Chaos! Stop the cars from coming in first of all with P&Rs, WAKE UP to the potential of the existing rail network and exploit it as any other modern European city of comparable size to Limerick would do if they were given our rail network as a present, and then start thinking about your 'Green Routes'.
jpsartre is offline   Reply With Quote