View Single Post
Unread 04-10-2012, 12:23   #27
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlr42 View Post
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...reaking49.html

Use of 4cars set to continue. I don't really have a problem with this, I saw plenty of them today in the peak and they looked busy, not crush-laden, but if this to become a permanent thing Irish Rail need to start looking at 'innovations' like stop markers to help speed up boarding at places like Tara St and Pearse southbound and Connolly p7 northbound.
During a short period at Pearse from 1725 to 1745 on Tuesday last, I saw three 8-car 8100 sets two northbound, one southbound. Each of these services had about 250 passengers each. Substitute a low seating density 4-car 8600 and there is an outcry as a significant proportion of passengers have to stand. Also people are less than impressed to find virtually empty 8-car 8600s rattling around on late evening services when Irish Rail are spinning that four-car trains are necessary at peak periods as a cost saving measure. What cost are bing avoided ? If energy costs are being targeted then 8-car trains should only appear on workings directly associated with the peak period with sets being reduced to two or four-car units at the earliest opportunity thereafter. This is clearly not what Irish Rail are doing - so what is actually going on ? Are sets being mothballed ? prepared for sale ?

Incidentally there were two northbound commuter services formed by 8-car 2900s during this period, both of which had about 600 passngers departing Pearse.

Last edited by Inniskeen : 04-10-2012 at 12:26.
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote