Thread: Sail & Rail
View Single Post
Unread 18-03-2011, 08:41   #10
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpb View Post
- When you get off the ship at Holyhead, you have to get on the bus, drive for five minutes, get back off the bus, take your bags with you and queue up to get through immigration. Giant waste of time, especially having to bring your checked luggage with you but I guess there's not much Eurolines can do about that.
The time I used it, the bus was waved through customs/immigration on the way to London and on the way back, there was a superficial immigration check that lasted all of about 2 minutes for the entire (full) bus - half that time dedicated to a small group of Germans.

Quote:
- Seats aren't assigned on the bus so don't expect to get the same seat either side of the sailing.
But woe betide anyone who takes someone else's seat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavanrailbus View Post
Having observed the London coach at Busáras on numerous occasions (whilst waiting for a provincial bus) it has been my experience that it being close to full is the regular situation whereas its counterpart to Leeds is not as busy but nonetheless used.
Depending on demand, additional buses will be provided, e.g. a bus that does Holyhead-London express without a Birmingham stop and one that does stop.

Quote:
A thought I had is that perhaps UK immigration could take place at the ports on this side. Pretty much like the US clearance at Dublin Airport. But on second thoughts there may not be much merit in doing so - it's time on one side or the other regardless!
Actually, you will find some UK immigration officers here and some Irish ones in the UK. they tend to do random stops of people boarding as opposed to checking everyone. I wonder if they could do the immigration on the ship. I'm not sure if its practical.

Last edited by Colm Moore : 18-03-2011 at 08:50.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote