View Single Post
Unread 03-09-2008, 13:14   #2
Commuticon
New to the board

I have written to Irish Rail telling them i am boycotting their services until this ridiculous discrimination is reversed. I would encourage others to let them know how offensive this is.

Their email is info@irishrail.ie

What I wrote is as follows:

"Dear Sir/Madam

Please confirm that Irish Rail has advised their staff that gay couples are not entitled to a married/partner free travel pass like heterosexual couples are.
A notice telling ticket checkers not to allow same sex couples with married/partner travel passes to travel, signed by the Manager for Revenue Protection for Irish Rail, has been spotted in Dublin's Heuston Station.

Such travel passes are awarded to people who are married or cohabiting as married.

The notice is apparently in accordance with the Social Welfare Amendment Act 2004 which defines a spouse as a member of the opposite sex and was one of the first pieces of legislation to enshrine discrimination into the Irish legal system.

Please be advised that I will not be using Irish Rail and encouraging my friends; family and work colleagues to boycott Irish Rail until this blatant discrimination is reversed.

In 21st century Ireland you should be ashamed that this situation can exist. It is utterly irrelevant what the legislation says. What is clear is the Irish Rail is specifically targetting gay couples to overcharge them

I would also urge the Manager for Revenue Protection to consider his position in Irish Rail. Someone who can issue such an offensively discriminatory order to staff is perhaps not suitable for that position.

Yours sincerely"