View Single Post
Unread 15-03-2017, 12:26   #20
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Howard View Post
You'll always find anecdotal evidence to support any viewpoint. Most people will chose the familiar if the option is available. If they were offered a tenner off the ticket for using the TVM, you'd probably find they would deal with the glare issue. You should also consider who answered your phone call about TVM use. The guy selling the tickets is hardly motivated to tell you that his job is done just as well by the machine.

The whole point of this discussion is about moving staff from stations onto trains. So if this change was made, there would be somebody on the train selling tickets - so no problem.

Anyway, to repeat my question Is it not better that Irish Rail use what resources they have to properly staff trains rather than stations?
as i said earlier in the thread, if the staff are going onto the trains with a ticket machine in their hand then happy days. If they will be also helping someone get on and off at a stop for whatever reason, even better.

if not, then no, they are better off in the stations.

the TVM issue is separate, it was posted that because of TVM's the need for station staff is greatly reduced, but that is not necessarily the case, as a quick phone around showed.

If you believe that the staff would lie about this, then I'm sure that when all this comes to the dreaded union/staff negotiations IE will have to produce actual TVM/Over the counter transaction figures.

Besides, as I said before, why not have both? We are not talking massive amounts of staff here. Whilst I post in a personal capacity on the forum it is RUI policy that staff should be on site as much as possible, if for no other reason than your personal wellbeing/security and onsite means on trains and stations.

At the end of the day IR say that they have implemented many practice changes with a view to getting the best value for money they can, but at the end of the day there is a limit.