View Single Post
Unread 01-08-2014, 14:28   #1
OisinDunne
New to the board

Smile Child Fares 16-18 Year Old

29th July 2014 - Mail from Fergus O'Dowd (TD) in reply to letter I sent.

Dear Deputy,

Further to your meeting with Gerry Murphy, CEO of the National Transport Authority, the Authority has examined the feasibility of extending the child age for children aged 16 to 18 who are accessing schools within the Short Hop zone.

I am pleased to relate that the Authority has requested that Iarnród Éireann introduce a pilot on the northern line as far as Drogheda which enables children aged 16 to 18 to use child weekly and monthly tickets on services to access schools as long as they use the 16 to 18 Child Leap card as proof of age.

This request has been forwarded today to Iarnród Éireann so it will take a number of days before that process is relayed to the relevant staff. However, parents can be advised that they should get a personalised 16 – 18 Child Leap card and they can start that process now. All information on the application and verification process is available on www.childleapcard.ie.

With regards,

Anne Graham
Director of Public Transport Services

Balbriggan to Greystones is only €0.70 with the Leap Card durning school hours from 1st Aug 2014.
I asked the good people at Leapcard if a child doesn't tag on in Balbriggan but tags off in Pearse do they only get charged €0.70...yes was the answer. Equally, the other way too.

Trip from Drogheda to Dublin and back for 16-18 year child during school hours is now:

Drogheda - Balbriggan - €5.00
Balbriggan - Dublin - €1.40
Total €6.40

Non-leapcard 16 year old child fare is €15.60

From what I can gather, the monthly child fare to Balbriggan with a 16-18 leap card will only be €43 compared to €86.

Spread this little bit of good news far & wide.
OisinDunne is offline   Reply With Quote