View Single Post
Unread 02-03-2017, 20:22   #6
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster

Quote:
Why cant we have both?
Cost?

Quote:
Also the on-line system isnt really responsive to the actual as opposed to the imagined demand on a train, you can get a better discount at 23.59 the day before a service than at 00.01 the day of that service, even though nobody may have booked.

Ditto - say someone for some reason does not have online access, its a pity the ticket terminals at stations do not offer the same discounts as online. If they did so, and were able to accurately monitor ticket sales for the train you are booking, it would be better. Perhaps this upgrade will allow it.
You can purchase by phone or online.

Quote:
The nature of the inter-city travel is one where there is always a healthy walk up portion of demand. What if someone who needs assistance turns up at the unmanned station (say with luggage as well?)
I would hope that un manning stations will get the level of investment required such as PIS, Emergancy and Information Point. The WRC and Oranmore are just some of un manned rural stations with them.

Walk up is largely for local routing, if you checked a train load and strip out annual, online, pass, weekly/monthly etc I don't think there would be major numbers left.

Quote:
This was all flagged years ago when the 22k's came in and also when the ticket booths came in. Besides, how many staff will be able to move onto train services? How will it work for someone, say, in Thurles to work the Limerick/Dublin service? Will they have to drive to Limerick to start and finish the day? They'll want an allowance for that. Since they aren't being made redundant (straight away) you cant really see the costs savings in the short term, but you can see the trend in where the company is going.
Personally I don't think they need to travel the full line/service, I can't see why boarding at for example Thurles would be a problem. The RPU lads are are mobile on services so why would this be any different.
_____

The key thing here is staff actually doing the job they are asked to, that doesn't mean walking through train once and hide away in the cab for the rest of the journey.

Last edited by Jamie2k9 : 02-03-2017 at 20:24.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote