View Single Post
Unread 01-02-2009, 19:16   #32
Alan French

Default How many stations?

The question of how many stations a line should have is always a difficult one. I think they have chosen the right humber of stations between Limerick and Galway to start with, but we mustn't fight against requests for more stations. If the number of stations needed is just too much to allow a decent journey time, then it's time to look at providing a mixture of fast and stopping trains. This is how other countries do it. If that needs more crossing loops to increase capacity, then let it be so, and press for them.

In fact it probably won't come to that; they are talking about seven trains a day, so there is some scope for adding new stops to some of the trains while keeping others limited-stop.

This is an important issue on this line, because there is quite a strong case for a station in the Limerick suburbs, as well as in growing villages like Cratloe. Those who are looking for more stations are potentially our allies, because they agree with us that road-based solutions are not all they are cracked up to be. If some proposal has to have a lower priority, let's call it that, and not pretend it isn't needed.

I'm not so sure about Newmarket, however. This is because once the journey to the station becomes a drive rather than a walk, people may as well drive to another station. Incidentally, I made this point in the consultation on the Navan line, relating to Dunshaughlin. I said they should avoid the cheaper option that doesn't serve Dunshaughlin properly, for this very reason.
Alan French is offline   Reply With Quote