View Single Post
Unread 12-02-2008, 00:30   #5
Tadhg17
Regular Poster

Shannon should have been planned whereby the majority of people would have lived and worked in Shannon and not commuting by car from West Clare, Limerick, Ennis and even Tipperary. I think housing was last on the list back in the day after the Airport and the Shannon free Zone when they started to build in Shannon which meant people were already travelling to work by car in Shannon. When they did start to build housing in Shannon it was council estates and flats(up by the airport on the left) and alot of people moved to Shannon from the North during the troubles and later from problem estates in Limerick city. Alot of workers became snobbish towards Shannon Town and preferred to commute by car from elsewhere in Clare or Limerick. This has continued to this day. I went to secondary school in Shannon and recently some of my mates moved into a new apartment block beside Shannon Town centre-all the other residents of that apartment block are Eastern European immigrants. Not a Clare accent to be heard.

Living and working in Shannon should have been encouraged from the start not twenty years later with proper rail and road infrastructure in Shannon and connecting to Limerick/Ennis.
Tadhg17 is offline   Reply With Quote