View Single Post
Unread 28-07-2016, 12:53   #59
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster

Lack of network is hardly a big issue in and around Dublin city. You've generally got a connection from the phone itself and a connection belonging to the bus. You could probably build a system to fall back to text messages if both failed. Lack of battery is a solvable problem - I personally keep a backup battery in my day-pack that I carry with me every day.

But it's hardly relevant to the matter under discussion which is that would appear that Dublin commuter ticketing is a complete dogs dinner especially when it involves journeys more than 20 km away from the city centre and more than one railway line. Which will become a much bigger problem once you can actually transfer between railway lines without leaving a station.

I'd suggest that while it isn't a deal breaker for starting up the new service, it will become obvious really soon that something is going to have to be done about properly integrating ticketing. This will get even worse when BXD opens. I'd suggest that the usefulness of both the PPT route and BXD will be seriously diminished by the expense and messiness of through ticketing using these routes.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote