View Single Post
Unread 06-10-2013, 12:13   #23
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey View Post
Longford evening service needs to be reinstated

Maynooth isn't an intercity station and the Sligo train will stop there, it's a case of reserved seats being enforced correctly the points outlined above.

Longford 29k used in 9 out of 10 services. So I regarded this as a commuter station as is Drogheda and Dundalk.
Arguably ever station on the system is a "commuter" station to a greater or lesser extent - indeed Irish Rail is largely a commuter railway with most of the rest of the traffic made up of social welfare pass holders and students.

As regards what stations are intercity, the generally accepted definition is that those stations within the Dublin short-hop ticket zone are "Dublin Suburban" with the rest of Irish Rail's stations being in the "Intercity" category with the exception of Cobh and Midleton line stations.

Most, if not all, of the suburban stations handle traffic which is primarily short-haul and destined to locations within the suburban zone.

While stations like Dundalk and Drogheda (but not Longford, I suspect) may well be primarily patronised by commuters, the fares are Intercity even if many of the services are way below the standard enjoyed by other "Intercity" stations. In addition at Drogheda and Dundalk, despite substantial commuter business, the majority of traffic is cross-border, i.e. passing through to Newry or beyond.
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote