View Single Post
Unread 22-12-2016, 23:23   #43
Eddie
Really Regular Poster

A few weeks ago (just after my last post on this thread in fact) I did a Dublin to Ennis (via Athenry) to Dublin (via Limerick Junction) loop because the booking engine allowed me to. I would have preferred to have come back via the Nenagh line, but the booking engine did not allow this, because presumably it assumed my travel motivation was speed. It wasn't.

The WRC was busier than I expected - I accept they were only 2 carriage trains, but some were full. I would be very surprised if they closed this line.

You do get the feeling that some lines are being driven into the ground (like the Nenagh line) and pulling back Rosslare Europort station away from the port, yet ironically the port is owned by CIE (and it's not the most inspiring of ports).

There's nothing wrong with charging less for a longer service, like Dublin to Limerick via Nenagh - some people will want to use it because of the price, and some people will want to use it because they want to use the line. But if you don't offer it, no-one can use it.

There's something to be said for a bit of private sector involvement here to innovate.

It is a shame your attempts to share ways to improve the Nenagh line fell on deaf ears. They probably hadn't paid you enough to value your suggestions.
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote