View Single Post
Unread 04-03-2010, 10:30   #29
PLUMB LOCO
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekoolhill View Post
so sligo DID have a first class and meal service (both breakfast and dinner) on those really old intercitys with the leather seats.

I remember mid 90's IE used to market their meals with the TV ad's (intercity....going faster everyday) and you would see a lad getting served a meal in the dining car..

What other routes had the first class and meals service? did rosslare ever have it...
My memory and that of James Howard differ on the level of service provided on the Sligo line - I never in all my years of travelling on the the route 1977/98 can recall 1st class in operation let alone meal services at your seat. While the late introduction of MkII vehicles onto the Sligo and Rosslare routes saw the use of some composite 1st/Standard vehicles they were only ever used as standard class - in my memory - and unquestionably on the Rosslare route! The Rosslare route had full catering and 1st class in the 1950's and early 1960s (I think?) - the Harcourt St/Rosslare trains had full dining facilities and I think that those starting from Pearse (Westland Row) did not.
PLUMB LOCO is offline   Reply With Quote