View Single Post
Unread 29-01-2007, 20:32   #9
James Shields

I know a number of the arches have had iron girders in the floor replaced with reinforced concrete. I'm not sure if this has been done for all of them.

The original iron girders of the 1856 bridge were replaced by the current steel structure in the 1930s. As the steel bridge was built inside the iron one, it was no longer wide enough for trains to pass (although this had already been stopped over concerns over weight).

Presumably the current steel bridge will eventually need replacing again, and at that stage it could be rebuilt with one wide enough (and strong enough) for trains to pass.

I think there is some merit in the calls for a north Drogheda station, but why not test demand first? It would be easy and cheap to offer a bus service between the area concerned and Drogheda station. If it was run as a connecting service, it could cut down congestion in the car park. There are currently two Drogheda town bus services, but neither of them serve the railway station, and the bus station is a good ten minute walk away.
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote