View Single Post
Unread 23-03-2016, 15:04   #1
Deedsie
New to the board

Default How to improve the Limerick - Nenagh - Ballybrophy line?

Hi,

I have been reading a bit about the Limerick – Nenagh – Ballybrophy line as I could never understand how the line was so unsuccessful. Hoping people here might inform with the issues affecting the line. I would love to hear any comments or suggestions on how this train line could best serve its route.

I am not appealing for any additional services at the moment. My proposal would be to approach Irish Rail to request they change the time the train currently departs Limerick Colbert station on weekday mornings to 05:30 am on the Limerick – Nenagh – Ballybrophy line?

• A commuter train arriving in Dublin Heuston at 10:00 am is not much use to any employees wishing to work in Dublin City or anywhere else between Nenagh & Ballybrophy or between Ballybrophy and Dublin.
• For students, 10:00 am is too late for anyone trying to get to college/university in Dublin or accessing a transfer to Maynooth.
• An earlier train that would arrive in Dublin Heuston before 09:00 am would receive far more customers and could give a boost to the Limerick – Nenagh - Ballybrophy line.
• With the imminent reopening of the Phoenix Park Tunnel, a transfer at Kildare station would make it possible to travel from Castleconnell, Birdhill, Nenagh, Cloughjordan or Roscrea to Drumcondra, Connolly, Tara, Pearse or Grand Canal Dock in the heart of Dublin city centre rather than just Heuston station as is the current situation in just over 2 hours.
• From these stations, commuters could transfer to the DART Network and access Dublin North and South.
• This could be very useful infrastructure to the municipal districts of Limerick East, Nenagh, Thurles/Templemore, Borris – in – Ossory/Mountmellick & Portlaoise.
• Irish rail and individual municipal districts could easily advertise this commuter train with slogans like “Avoid the N7 traffic” or “Avoid the M7 roadworks” when the M7 widening project gets underway.
• A journey on a train would be more economical, better for the environment and could potentially save the Limerick – Nenagh – Ballybrophy line from inevitable closure. The line is not working as it is, time to try something different with the timetable.

Once the Phoenix Park tunnel line opens, it should be advertised that there will be a Limerick - Nenagh - Ballybrophy line train every weekday morning arriving at Heuston station no later than 08:30 for transfers to Luas and Dublin bus.

It should also be advertised that there will be a stop at Kildare station for those wishing to transfer onto the Phoenix park line and direct access to Drumcondra, Connolly, Tara, Pearse, Grand Canal Dock and the DART network in the heart of Dublin city.

If the Limerick – Nenagh - Ballybrophy line doesn’t make some changes it will surely close eventually.

I know the line is in need of investment to improve speed to compete with other modes of transport but I don’t know exactly what works are required. Be great if someone could fill me in.

I have read there are 25 level crossings on the line that would need to be automated? And that there would be at least €8 to €10 million investment required to make the line competitive.

Last edited by Deedsie : 24-03-2016 at 08:02.
Deedsie is offline   Reply With Quote