View Single Post
Unread 05-09-2016, 07:40   #2
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster

I don't think it's two-sided at all. Lorry drivers should know the height of their vehicle and load. Every bridge has a height sign and you should be alert to these if driving a high vehicle.

It would help somewhat if truck drivers didn't spend so much time on the phone and paid attention to the road. I walk on regional roads quite regularly where you can see what oncoming truck drivers are doing and it wouldn't be much of an exaggeration to say that about 20% of lorry drives are using hand-held phones. I have no idea what they are talking about all the time

Maybe that incident near Dover a couple of weeks ago might focus some minds. I believe this was the arm of a digger hitting a bridge - very similar to the accident near Gorey in 1975 that killed 5 people.

Maybe Irish Rail could look at contacting somebody to write a mobile phone app that would alert drivers when they were within 100m of a low bridge. That might help somewhat. I know, no money but it's got to be cheaper than getting bridges inspected.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote