View Single Post
Unread 04-03-2017, 16:17   #10
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster

Quote:
You probably only need and handful of people buying €70- €80 walk up fares to cover the marginal expense of covering 1 or 2 shifts at a station. Not everyone is motivated by cheap advance tickets. Ticket vending machines and on-line sales are limited to selling the most common point to point tickets.
It may only take a few however just breaking eveni is not acceptable when you have the cost of running the train and a whole lot of others. A lot of UK stations that we view as quiet likely handle more than our lightly used station.

TMV are limited but that can be changed and online sales are a massive part of IE's revenue now and it will continue to grow.

Quote:
It might be difficult to move staff from stations to on board trains - if they were recruited to look after a station, it might be considered a demotion to work, to what I think is being described as a guard. (I have no idea which job might be considered better). To avoid this, employment contracts would have to be sufficiently flexible at outset.
I'm sure IE are aware and if they are not i'm sure some union members will point it out.

In the case of Kerry stations they will only travel on the Mallow-Tralee shuttle, so realistically I can't see major problems with it provided for example as said above staff are not required to incur additional expenses.

Quote:
Don't those with free travel still have to get a ticket, even if they don't pay for it?

Mind you, it shouldn't be too difficult to find a way around that issue e.g. putting tag on/tag off polls in every station in the country.
They do but won't have any action taken if unable to obtain one at a station with no ticket office.

Last edited by Jamie2k9 : 05-03-2017 at 09:03.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote