Thread: Cork, boy
View Single Post
Unread 10-05-2007, 01:54   #17
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by comcor View Post
It was a narrow-gauge railway and was mostly single track.It closed in 1932 (although the Monkstown-Carrigaline-Crosshaven ection closed earlier). I'm not certain of the terminus, but I assume it was somewhere south of the river in the area of the terminus for the Cork, Bandon and South Coast and Cork and Macroom railways.
At various stages it was both narrow and Irish standard gauge. Original terminus was on Kennedy Quay by the flour silos, but moved to the redbrick building (National Sculpture Factory) at Albert Road / Albert Street - across the road from the Cork & Bandon station. I presume the closed at the same time as the railway.

Quote:
As regards the alignment. First thing to note is that one of the city's main sewers now runs under it, which weakens it somewhat. However, in terms of the pedestrian route, it runs in a deep cutting for most of the route between the Atlantic Pond and Mahon Point. Covering over a tramline to provide a pedestrian and cycling route above could hardly be too difficult.
I think the sewer is only on the city centre - Atlantic Pond section. Note the Marina and the Atlantic Pond were formed by the railway.