View Single Post
Unread 12-02-2016, 23:43   #8
Eddie
Really Regular Poster

Getting a bit of track now, but there's nowhere else to air it...

As a former resident and now semi regular visitor to London, yes, you're right, I'm pretty sure buses there still have the destination scrolls. One thing it does seem to provide though is flexibility - they can terminate early by changing destination if they are behind schedule. The electronic boards on Dublin Bus only have the end destinations, and that's it, so the only option seems to be to pull them out of service if they are behind schedule. The one exception I know about is the number 7 route, which does seem to have the ability to "RDS", but the only thing is, it removes the route number, so unless you're in the know, you'd have no idea it was going to follow the 7 route to the RDS.

The other thing I don't understand about Dublin Bus is why about 50-75% of drivers will not use the middle doors on the new 2 door buses, which must be costing the taxpayer in the region of about €300k a pop. Utterly unbelievable. It used to really annoy me, but now I just make a point when using a 2 door bus of only thanking a driver when he uses the middle doors - if he forces me to use the front door, then I won't. If a driver has middle door aversion syndrome, then just allocate them an older single door bus and be done with it.

And then of course there's the night buses which only stop at a handful of stops. I haven't bothered with them since one zipped straight past me at a non-conforming stop 3 years ago.

Shame there isn't a bususers.ie website where all this can be championed. Occasionally in the past, I have written suggestions by email, but have only gotten responses about half the time.

Last edited by Eddie : 13-02-2016 at 06:42.
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote