View Single Post
Unread 17-12-2006, 21:53   #27
zag
Regular Poster

Default Bridge design 101

I accept that building regulations need to be complied with and we would probably all be on here (well some of us) giving it loads if IE build non-accessable bridges, but here's my list of dumb things about the new DART bridges.

1) the design student charged with drawing the pictures forgot to include a gutter. Result - you cannot walk underneath *any* part of the bridge when it is raining without getting significant amounts of run-off on you. Normal bridges provide some element of shelter in bad weather - these ones make you wetter.

2) they are dangerously slippy when wet - I don't know what the building regs have to say on this, but I doubt they suggest having a flat surface where all the water can drip off passengers and sit on the bridge. Except for the bits that drip on to the waiting passengers (see 1, above) of course. I am not looking forward to seeing what they are like when it freezes (not for long beside the sea mind you, but it does happen).

3) IE decided to close the existing bridge in Booterstown (and took about 6 months or more to remove the huge Exit sign pointing to the closed bridge). The old bridge still functions as a bridge, but they closed it. If there is a health & safety concern with the old bridge perhaps they might think of closing the other half of the bridge that gives access to the beach. If there is no health & safety concern then perhaps they would re-open the thing. As it stands a significant number of able-bodied people save themselves several minutes by bunking over the low railing and walking over the old bridge anyway.

4) the lifts open right into the face of the sea breeze, and there is only partial shelter provided. Logic (perhaps not the building regs) would suggest you have the lift openings pointing inland, away from the storms, and provide shelter directly in front of the doors.

5) the bridge element itself is again only partially enclosed and so while you are now even higher and more exposed to the elements right by the sea you lose the solid enclosure of the old bridge and gain one that allows the wind and rain through. Right . . .

6) these bridges must have cost a bomb - I lost track of the amount of time spent assembling & tweaking them. At the time I remember doing a rough calculation about the labour hours that went into the bridge in Booterstown - something like a minimum of 2 years of labour hours, based on at least four blokes there every morning for 6 months. And of those four that I saw, two of them spent a significant amount of time carting all the equipment over the bridges (the new, non-working at the time ones) to the other side every single morning. Obviously the same procedure took place in reverse every evening. A *huge* waste of time & effort.

7) double decker trains . . . .puleeeeaze. Getting single deckers working efficiently seems to be beyond IE in many instances, so I don't hold out hope of double deckers any time soon. It would be good mind you, I just can't see it happening in Ireland in any kind of meaningful timescale.

Other than that they are grand bridges altogether.

z
zag is offline   Reply With Quote