View Single Post
Unread 07-12-2008, 13:33   #156
wobbles
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUMB LOCO View Post
I am afraid that I am not particularly happy to see the imminent (?) arrival of the 22ks on the Rosslare line - granted they will be better than the present collection of awful Commuter railcars on the route - they will be grossly inferior to the MkIIs as originally supplied. No 1st class, no dining car, no Fastrack, little space for bicyles, excessive lighting and I am reliably informed that Rosslare services may be operated by 3-piece sets. Can this latter point be correct?

Several hundreds of million spent on the route and the standard of service is going to be inferior to that provided in the 1980's - where is the sense in that or indeed value for money?
I do agree that the 22K will be a step up from the current 28K trains.
Just a few points.

First class facilities were never available on the MK2 trains on the Rosslare line.

There is indeed Fastrack facilities (ie a cupboard). This is in use on the Sligo 22K for Fastrack.

New bicyle racks are being fitted (at the expence of seats).

Rosslare services will be operated by just 3 coach 22K sets. Main issue is the length of most platforms on the route. The present six coach 28K is the longest trains that can be used at present.

If 3 coach trains are the best we can hope for then the number of services need to be increased however in the current climate I doubt this will happen.
wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote