Thread: Sail & Rail
View Single Post
Unread 10-11-2011, 15:53   #65
Traincustomer

There is, I understand, what they term an "allocation" for SailRail for each sailing. In numerical terms I've no idea what that may be. The ceiling of the allocation is probably only reached on occasions when numbers are high e.g. cancellation of fastcraft meaning the conventional ship has many more passengers/ occasions of events such as matches/ closure of airspace etc... If there is spare capacity once the ceiling is reached I daresay additional SailRail passengers are carried in any case.

Agree that Irish Ferries handling fees are very high; have used the online booking facility reluctantly a few times recently as have had to travel to personal appointments and certainty of travel took precedence. (The online booking with Irish Ferries gives one a "firm" booking).

Stena will only issue from the ports (i.e. Dublin/Rosslare/Dún Laoghaire*) onwards into Britain. I've attempted to buy a ticket in advance for a journey starting at an Irish station but they can't/won't issue; the info on the website seems to be informational rather than actual.

(* now served seasonally)

Last edited by Traincustomer : 10-11-2011 at 15:54. Reason: addition of footnote for readers' benefit
Traincustomer is offline   Reply With Quote