Thread: Sail & Rail
View Single Post
Unread 12-01-2015, 16:05   #219
Traincustomer

No bother Comcor.

Quote:
The 370 service is purely a commuter service into Waterford.
With respect is there a NTA or BÉ document or publication that specifically states that limitation?

Surely the role of all bus and rail services (especially subsidised routes) is to tick as many boxes as reasonably possible in terms of the journey opportunities provided, connectivity and integration. Would fully agree though that the 370, like many routes around the country, is primarily a commuter service.

At the port early one morning I did notice a fellow passenger from the Fishguard ferry boarding the 370 and one evening I was one of five passengers who used the 370 to travel to the port for the ferry (for the record I didn’t know any of the others).

Quote:
Any foot passengers can however still use the 07:00 route 40 service to Waterford with connections to Cork and Limerick
As the various journey planners substantiate there’s no connection to Limerick (the Limerick service departs at 08.40; the 07.00 route 40 ex Rosslare gets into Waterford Bus Stn at 08.45 whereas the 370 arrives in at 08.30). Waiting approximately two hours for the next bus is just a replication of the sort of the user-unfriendly unintegrated service that existed when the rail service ran where passengers heading to/from any station west had long waits in Waterford.

Incidentally the commercial route 40 fares are significantly more expensive than the 370 fare, the latter originally being identical to the train fare.

All the villages in South Wexford are proper villages with a core area and residential areas.
Traincustomer is offline   Reply With Quote