View Single Post
Unread 25-07-2012, 12:42   #9
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

I am assuming that the good counsellor is speaking about last weeks announcement of the €2.25 billion national infrastructure plan. You can view that plan in a number of ways, either cynically or not. A cynic may say that it has resulted in a motorway to the Taoiseach's constituancy and one to the minister in change of the plan. Are either of them "shovel ready?" what does that term mean anyway? check out the infratructure forum on boards.ie for a very full discussion on that point.

As for building the schools, and providing jobs (it is a jobs initiative) i was speaking to an engineer yesterday involved in the building of a three floor 36 room school. It took 27 weeks from when the gap in the hedge was opened, to the completion of all the work. It's all pre-cast and modular. Amount of jobs involved? Sod all.

€2.25 billion - that would build DART underground and also allow for the re-jigging of signals and track to allow the PPT to Connolly to boot. Leaves nothing else to anyone. €2.25 wont get you Metro North. It will, hwoever, give you more jobs than the roads and the schools and other projects. However, it will not give you more votes and more TD's, especially as the northside of Dublin City is about to lose a few.

Personally I am all in favour of a €5billion development plan which will see these things plus Dart Underground/Electrification of the GDA. The economic benefits to the 6th most congested city in Europe speak for themselves.

Perhaps it may happen. As for the ministers I am not sure if the accusation of anti public transport is 100% correct. Ask the private bus companies about that today, for example.