View Single Post
Unread 23-05-2006, 19:33   #43
Derek Wheeler

While the indo article is hardly a serious account of the MK4s inaugural passenger run, I thought it was funny as the author, decided to take a particular angle. It was at the expense of "trainspotters". So what? Nobody got hurt. I assume she did her research online. If any of us look at some of the chat rooms, message boards etc, that is the impression you will get.

I mentioned in another thread somewhere that "trainspotters" need a serious rebranding. Many of them (not all) are identical to the stereotype. Its not a cool hobby. It hasn't been since the 1950s perhaps. But its up to a younger generation to change that if they feel aggreived.

I get called a "trainspotter" because I represent a rail users group. In the modern world, anyone with even the slightest interest or knowledge in railways is branded one. Thats just ignorance. However, the image of the traditional "trainspotter" is poor and wide open to redicule. I believe it puts rail enthuasiasts off, in general, from admitting their interest.

Just my two cents worth and I still think the indo article was funny.