View Single Post
Unread 27-02-2010, 01:10   #5
ccos

Rail in Albania is crazy, if you find a seat thats not broken keep it, use broken ones lying aroud to block holes in carraige, only 1 train a day to lake ohrid on Macedonia border and no trains from there to Skopje. 50 euros in a taxi, Theres a couple of trains daily from Belgrade to skopje including an overnight on that arrives in skopje around 9 altough it was quite late when I used it, this train goes thru to thessallonika so I assume it comes back that way, All trains are quiete cheap in Serbia and if you have railplus (I dont know if you can buy it in Ireland, comes with bahncard in germany and costs E15 in Holland) theres 25% off crossborder trains.
The line via Kosovo is closed and you cannot cross between Serbia and Kosovo anywhere. The Greeks arenīt big fans of Macedonia calling itself, well, aah, Macedoina so transport links arenīt as good as they could be.

Very good train service from Budapest to Bratislava and Vienna is only 45 minutes away, theres also plenty of trains from Prague
I dont think theres much in the line of crossborder trains between Armenia and Azerbijan, they still have some unfinished border business and I think the only train that far east in Turkey goes to Iran with a break to cross a lake. Coming from Russia via Georgia would probably also pose a problem due to some unpleasantness that occurred recently.

Plenty of ferries from Bari (where Santa Claus is buried) in Italy to Durres in Albania and its less then an hour on the train to Tirana which runs regularly, an experience that will make you look differently at 2900īs but one I highly recommend.

In General trains are very cheap in eastern Europe.

Direct regular express buses run from Toulouse to Andorra.

Anybody know wher I can find the fixture schedule as I wouldnīt mind going to Armenia meself?
ccos is offline   Reply With Quote