View Single Post
Unread 02-10-2008, 11:01   #22
Laois Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnestGoodheart View Post
I got where I was going? Is that not what I am paying all this money for? It's the level of service at the moment that is as ridiculous as that comment.

They have reduced the amount of carraiges on this train from 6 to 4. So before you have little cheap jibes about my knowledge, maybe you should go figure out how they cannot manage to keep up the level of 'service' that they used to provide.

Guessing you work for IE Laois Commuter, you are starting to sound like Mr Fearn, CEO of IE, trying to defend himself in the Metro.
Yes, you are paying to get there. You are not necessarily paying for a seat!

There are a number of reasons why a shortage of carriages can occur; unplanned maintenance (eg accident damage, vandalism), breakdown, industrial relations issues. These issues can arise at any time, and can have significant effects. Unlike cars, trains generally have very definite service intervals, beyond which they cannot operate without the necessary checks. These also occur far more frequently than those for cars. Therefore, if two units are out due to vandalism, and a third becomes due for a service (or "exam"), there are no spares. Which would you prefer - train runs but with fewer coaches, or train doesn't run and you make your own way?

This is neither a defence or an attack on IE - it is an explanation as to why problems can occur.

You guessed wrong. I do not work for IE, or any other transport company these days, and never have worked in the public transport industry in Ireland. I do however have 35+ years of such experience in the UK, public and private sector, rail and road, operational and customer facing. It was not a cheap jibe - like many, you made a comment on competence of others which you have failed to back up with any indication of your experience, on the basis that you could apparently do better, with no knowledge of the constraints which operators - not just IE - have to work under.

Now, what was your operational experience again?

LC

Last edited by Laois Commuter : 02-10-2008 at 11:04.
Laois Commuter is offline   Reply With Quote