View Single Post
Unread 06-06-2007, 17:46   #3
packetswitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpb View Post
I'm not sure that's quite the integration most people had in mind. I'm sure this has been done to death before but can someone explain to me why Bray is getting a second train/tram line? I know Bray is a big area but it seems strange to provide rail connections to yet another out-lying area instead of concentrating on building up the city.
Nah, think of it this way:

Resident south of Bray (Greystones or Wicklow, or even Arklow/Gorey for example) works in Sandyford, or Cherrywood, or whatever. Joining the Luas Green Line to the Dart at this point makes sense in terms of linking Co. Wicklow commuters to other parts of the city.

Greystones - Bray (DART), change at Bray to continue by Luas to Cherrywood is a perfectly reasonable demand - yes you can do it by shuttle bus or by driving to a station car park but it's harder to persuade commuters to make the switch when it's like that.

The real madness would be to have a Luas line going south from the city centre via Cherrywood to Fassaroe and a train line going south from the city centre to the south-east via Bray centre (about a mile, two miles from Fassaroe?) without connecting them. Convincing Wicklow commuters to take the train instead of the N11 would be more difficult if they had to make their own way between Luas and train - so close yet so far!