Thread: 17. Mai
View Single Post
Unread 19-05-2007, 16:34   #11
Oisin88

Quote:
Originally Posted by dermo88 View Post
On a side note, whats the country that made you die of shock on a cost of living basis.

My nightmare, back in 2001 when the Euro/Irish Punt was weak as dishwater.

"Jug of Tiger (1.3 Litres) please", in the Eastin Hotel, Petaling Jaya, Malaysia.M$72.00 after 10% service charge and 5% government tax.
"Pint of Guinness", HK$64.00 in downtown Kowloon, Hong Kong (at the time IRP6.40). My reaction.......Growl.......Pay.
Then to crown it all, Taboo Bar, Singapore, 1.3 litres of Tiger, S$39.90, which at the time was IRP20.00 (2 Sing to the Quid).

Of course, I always joke that Irish people work on a "different" consumer price index, and we rate countries on the price of a pint. Clothes...cheap. Accomodation....cheap......Food....cheap.....Booze ....."Sweet mother of divine Hugh Heffner on a railbus on cocaine.......how much?!?!?!?"

I taught the Malaysians how to brew their own. Hops were a nightmare to obtain, since they are related to "Mary Jane".

The exchange rate at that time was M$3.30 to the Euro, and M$4.20 to the Irish Pound. My work colleagues and I saved a wad of cash staying in, while our native currency was weak. Going out on the tear was an ordeal.

Once George Bush took power, the Euro got strong. My manager spat blood, since the cupid stunt negotiated his salary in Dollars. The rest of us dealt in Sterling, and one of my better moves was developing an artificial currency for expats called an "Expat Quid", weighted using 5 different currencies, in 5 different bank accounts, in 5 different countries.

"I'm very poor, I've no money, I earn minimum wage, now go away please"
I once paid the equivalent of Ir£7.00 for a drink in Nairobi, when you could buy a pint of local beer for 50cent...... at the time it was before rip-off Ireland and the Irish Unit of currency (Pint of Guinness) was still less than £4.

Last edited by Oisin88 : 19-05-2007 at 16:34. Reason: punctuation.
Oisin88 is offline   Reply With Quote