Rail Users Ireland Forum

Rail Users Ireland Forum (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/index.php)
-   Dublin Kerry (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Direct Trains To Tralee (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=4237)

sublimity 27-05-2008 20:07

Direct Trains To Tralee

Does anyone else think there should be more direct services to Tralee? One direct service each way mon-sat is a joke. Up to 2 years ago there were 4 direct trains to/from tralee. Something must be done for the new timetable. Are you listening Iarnrod Eireann???

sublimity 27-05-2008 20:15

Ok maybe i got my facts wrong but there were definetely more direct services up to a few years ago. Passengers deserve more direct services to Tralee. Commuter trains should be reduced. Bring back the proper service we once had not too long ago.

Thomas Ralph 27-05-2008 20:25

I don't think there's a serious disadvantage to having to change at Mallow. However putting people on railcars for half the journey (i.e. the section between Tralee and Mallow) is poor.

Mark Gleeson 27-05-2008 21:34

Go back to the 1980's and 1990's on a weekday there was a grand total of 2 direct trains to Tralee, no connections just 2 trains from Dublin, on a Friday there was an extra train

Currently 1 direct + 7 good connections at Mallow 6 days a week

Second direct train likely to be restored in the next 3 years

Cork is to get a small fleet of 22k units to cover Tralee Mallow. At the moment, well when there are trains a Mk3 set is used to cover the busier half of the services Tralee - Mallow

sublimity 27-05-2008 22:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson (Post 33593)
Go back to the 1980's and 1990's on a weekday there was a grand total of 2 direct trains to Tralee, no connections just 2 trains from Dublin, on a Friday there was an extra train

Currently 1 direct + 7 good connections at Mallow 6 days a week

Second direct train likely to be restored in the next 3 years

Cork is to get a small fleet of 22k units to cover Tralee Mallow. At the moment, well when there are trains a Mk3 set is used to cover the busier half of the services Tralee - Mallow

Well its good to know that a Mk3 set is being used from tralee-mallow i suppose. thought it was all commuters

Jferb 10-06-2008 19:01

'Good connections' are all well and good, except when you're dumped on platform 2/3 in Mallow on a cold, wet winter's day, waiting for the train from Cork to arrive! Unlike Limerick Junction, there are no enclosed shelters on this platform and if you want to drag yourself over to the waiting room on platform 1, prepare for a soaking as the 'geniuses' in IE built a new over-bridge a while back but didn't extend the covered portion of platform 2/3 to meet with it!!

Other than that, I don't mind connecting services too much, once there isn't a time-penalty involved and we're not expected to spend upwards of an hour-and-a-half on a tin-can!!

Connecting services are an integral part of rail-travel, but when one pays intercity prices for travel on intercity services, one expects intercity trains!!