Rail Users Ireland Forum

Rail Users Ireland Forum (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/index.php)
-   General Irish Rail Discussion (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Car Parking (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=12315)

Locky 27-04-2010 10:34

Car Parking

Does anyone know why IR staff don't have to pay for car parking when the rest of us do? In Dundalk particularly staff cars occupy all spaces directly outside the front door and usually the 'set down only' areas as well.

Mark Gleeson 27-04-2010 10:39

The revenue commissioners would like to know about that....

Locky 27-04-2010 10:46

I've noticed it in Connolly as well - IR staff put an orange/hi vis jacket over the steering wheel and off they go...

Mark Gleeson 27-04-2010 10:52

There are two classifications

1. Staff based on site who have guaranteed parking fall under the revenue commissioner car park space tax. But are they paying? These spaces are marked clearly on the station plans.

2. Safety critical staff attending an incident should be afforded free parking, but those are rare once off issues.

Incidentally I have had the wonderful experience of watching the CEO of IE struggling with the pay and display machine

comcor 27-04-2010 11:03

The Parking Levy only applies in Cork, Dublin, Galway, Limerick and Waterford, so it wouldn't have a bearing in Dundalk.

Mark Gleeson 27-04-2010 11:09

There are BIK considerations if free parking is provided and guaranteed.

Thomas Ralph 27-04-2010 11:49

I don't think the section of the Finance Act providing for the parking levy has been commenced, or that free parking is otherwise a benefit in kind. Also, people on shift work are exempt from it.

Ballymore 11-05-2010 13:53

Mullingar free car park

Since IR started to charge daily at the station in Mullingar I use the free car park (2 min walk down the road) but I notice a lot of glass on the ground there frequently. I wonder is it from broken bottles or car windows?

I've lost a badge and a petrol cap recently and it really bugs the hell out of me. Anyone else any 'security' issues with the free car park?:mad:

Thomas Ralph 11-05-2010 14:23

Since there's no security on most IÉ car parks, would there be any difference?

Ballymore 11-05-2010 14:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Ralph (Post 56024)
Since there's no security on most IÉ car parks, would there be any difference?

Very unlikely. I was just wondering was it only my car that had been interfered with or is it something that has happened to others. I dont like the idea that I am seen as a 'parts supplier' to someone else :(

PLUMB LOCO 11-05-2010 17:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ballymore (Post 56025)
Very unlikely. I was just wondering was it only my car that had been interfered with or is it something that has happened to others. I dont like the idea that I am seen as a 'parts supplier' to someone else :(

The area around the station and canal in Mullingar has been a scumbag magnet for decades so what can you expect!

Ballymore 12-05-2010 11:12

I expect my car to be left alone, probably a bit too much to expect these days is it :rolleyes:

CharlieBranch 08-12-2010 12:59

Just wondering with the current weather we are having and the fact that some people (depending where you are located) now have to pay a levy for using the car parks, is there a responsibility for the contractor to ensure that the car park is a safe place to drive/park?

Ballymore 08-12-2010 16:59

Well there is definitely nothing being done in Mullingar station car park to make it any safer, in fact it's crazy these days as there are major 'upgrading works' ongoing and so the spaces available have decreased dramatically. People are parking anywhere they can get.

The fact that you have to pay for it would suggest some responsibility for the way people drive in and out too - particularly in the dark evenings - as some people are downright dangerous - even without the snow.

Another question I have is why can cars - especially taxis - park right at the front steps in Mullingar while a trainload of people disembark. Surely this is against safety regulations - what would happen if there was a need for passengers to get in or out of the station quickly if there was a crash or fire. They are also potentially a hindrance for emergency services.

James Howard 09-12-2010 08:08

Parking in front of the exit has been a problem at Edgeworthstown for at least the last 20 years. The most serious offenders are Mammies on Fridays collecting the precious offspring home from college. It does my head in and is particularly dangerous in this kind of weather but life is too short to get worked up about it.

I've come to the conclusion that in general, Irish people are just particularly ignorant when it comes to parking and they cannot see why they should let other peoples' safety get in the way of their own convenience.

This morning in Edgeworthstown there was a Ford Mondeo "parked" diagonally across three spaces presumably because he was late for the train. That deserves clamping. The other thing I've noticed is a regular parking in the disabled spot because the markings are frozen over.

But it wouldn't kill the car park operators to at least clear a path for pediestrians. The same is true about platforms. These are cleared in the inner suburban stations but no effort at all has been made between Kilcock and Edgeworthstown. There is a real chance of somebody ending up in front of a train with the way things are now.

Ballymore 17-12-2010 14:16

Parking in the overflow (free) car park at Mullingar is crazy these days. People just abandon their cars anywhere they feel like and even though I have a small car it can be a tight squeeze to get out of the space sometimes. God help anyone with the big BMW's parked there :-)

Ballymore 19-01-2011 10:11

02 Renault parked 'illegally' (or at best extremely inconsiderately) caused a bit of a fuss yesterday evening by blocking at least 5 cars in the corner of the free car park in Mullingar. I seen one guy barely squeeze past in a small car but it was very very tight indeed. :eek:

Mark Gleeson 19-01-2011 10:47

The nice people in NCPS have no problem coming out to clamp people, call the number and wait for an operator (last option in menu)

After all if there is an inconsiderate passenger parking as to obstruct, the car can be quite correctly clamped regardless of paying. You can be sure they won't do that again

comcor 19-01-2011 13:01

Does clamping not just leave the obstruction there longer? Do they have towing facilities?

Mark Gleeson 19-01-2011 13:58

Thats the problem but its the only way to educate some people.