Rail Users Ireland Forum

Rail Users Ireland Forum (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/index.php)
-   DART (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Safety concerns (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=1830)

zag 18-01-2007 10:07

Safety concerns

Does anyone know the relevant person (or office) to send health & safety concerns to regarding Clontarf Road station ?

In the last two weeks, the shutters have been fully down over the emergency exits on at least 2 occasions and on other occasions they have been down 10-20% which is almost as bad when it comes to using an emergency exit.

Last night there were two IE people manning (or watchinig) the ticket barriers as well as the guy behind the counter and the shutter was all the way down, blocking an emergency exit.

I want to raise this officially and not with the station itself since it is clear there is a major lack of safety awareness across different people operating that station.

z

Mark Gleeson 18-01-2007 10:22

Person responsible is the Station Manager Connolly, if that goes nowhere Rail Safety Commission, 4th Floor, Trident House, Blackrock, Co. Dublin.

A photo would of course help

zag 18-01-2007 10:32

Photos

Thanks for that Mark. I took a series of photos during Summer & Autumn when I had previously planned on making a complaint. My phone has since been swapped out for one without a camera so I didn't get pictures of the recent incidents, but I can send in 5 or 6 photos of the situation on different days.

I take it that a letter is the way to go rather than email . . .

z

Mark Gleeson 18-01-2007 10:44

Good old fashioned paper of course

Sad fact is the only way to get passenger improvements really is to find a safety issue since they tend to fix them

Colm Donoghue 18-01-2007 14:19

Ringing the fire officer in Townshend/Pearse st fire brigade station to ask someone to have a look at it mightn't be a bad idea.

blocked fire escapes are far worse than none

al2637 18-01-2007 15:23

I believe the reason it gets blocked is because morning passengers tend to open it and walk out without going through the ticket barriers in order to get on the East Point Bus quicker...

The problem is particularly bad when 2 DARTs arrive at the same time in the morning. The queue can be backed all the way back up the stairs. Who wants to queue to get out of a DART station, especially when the result is that you have to queue again for a bus!

About time an exit at the far end was provided, and people would walk to East Point!

Derek Wheeler 19-01-2007 22:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by al2637 (Post 16589)
About time an exit at the far end was provided, and people would walk to East Point!

That would be whats called "pedestrianised integration". This country is still trying to figure out the word "integration". So give it 20 and come back to me!:D

Colm Moore 20-01-2007 01:36

Quote:

I believe the reason it gets blocked is because morning passengers tend to open it and walk out without going through the ticket barriers in order to get on the East Point Bus quicker...

Magnetic door locks connected to the fire alarm should sort this.

Normally the magnet is on and the door is unopenable. When the fire alarm is triggered, the magnet is off and the door is openable. Costs afew hundred euro per door leaf.

Colm Moore 20-01-2007 01:37

Quote:

Magnetic door locks connected to the fire alarm should sort this.

Normally the magnet is on and the door is unopenable. When the fire alarm is triggered, the magnet is off and the door is openable. Costs a few hundred euro per door leaf.