Rail Users Ireland Forum

Rail Users Ireland Forum (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/index.php)
-   DART (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   DART at Drogheda (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=11930)

njmurphy 15-01-2010 16:38

DART at Drogheda

I saw a DART just outside Drogheda station this morning, several people looking on while 3 or 4 seemed to be working on the front of it. Does anyone know what it was doing there or how it got there?

karlr42 15-01-2010 20:09

They are hauled there(not under their own power) to get heavy maintenance done in the depot that isn't possible in Fairview, the usual DART depot. Happens fairly regularly, nothing out of the ordinary.

Mark Gleeson 15-01-2010 23:40

This is routine, in service the DART (and most modern trains) suffers from flat wheels where the wheel skids due to the powerful brakes leaving a flat patch. Drogheda has an extremely efficient computer controlled wheel lathe to re-profile the wheels. An out of service 29k series railcar heading from Dublin to Drogheda stops off at Fairview and collects the DART.

Its the cheapest and quickest way of doing this. A new DART depot is to be built on the Maynooth line when it is electrified and it will have a wheel lathe.

Northern Ireland Railways send trains to Dublin for repair if they can't handle it or if it is quicker get the work done by Irish Rail.

Obviously we all want an actual DART to Drogheda and Irish Rail have gone on record as saying they want it, problem is at Government level who say no (even in the time of plenty)

essoII 16-01-2010 14:55

• Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson (Post 53345)
  • Obviously we all want an actual DART to Drogheda and Irish Rail have gone on record as saying they want it,

Quote:

problem is at Government level who say no (even in the time of plenty)

God do I hate this government! Even in the next election I don't think there's a party who values investing in this much either. Fine Geal seem to be opposed to anything to do with Metro North at least and they're probably going to be the ones who will win it. I just hate Deirdre De Burca so I wont vote for labour!

Mark Gleeson 16-01-2010 16:29

I'll be meeting the head of the NTA on Wednesday so we shall see what the story is.

dowlingm 17-01-2010 06:53

Where was this work done before Drogheda opened - Inchicore?

PLUMB LOCO 17-01-2010 13:23

Inchicore.

comcor 19-01-2010 11:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by essoII (Post 53358)
I just hate Deirdre De Burca so I wont vote for labour!

A bit harsh on Labour when she's a member of the Green Party!

paddyb180285 11-02-2010 20:50

Quote:

Obviously we all want an actual DART to Drogheda and Irish Rail have gone on record as saying they want it, problem is at Government level who say no (even in the time of plenty)

Surely, if this were to happen, toilets would need to be installed on DART trains. Commuter trains have toilets on them for the reason of the journey length. Surely, the same would apply for DART's if their journey length got to long not to have them installed. Plus they would be making extra stops along the way adding to the journey length even more!

:D That's hilarious. A 29000 train giving a DART a lift!

Mark Gleeson 11-02-2010 21:46

There is no comparison between a 29k and a DART the DART will slice a large chunk out of the time owing to its massive acceleration and braking rates

It is likely that if DART goes to Drogheda a longer range even faster DART unit would be required

KSW 11-02-2010 23:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by paddyb180285 (Post 53825)
Surely, if this were to happen, toilets would need to be installed on DART trains. Commuter trains have toilets on them for the reason of the journey length. Surely, the same would apply for DART's if their journey length got to long not to have them installed. Plus they would be making extra stops along the way adding to the journey length even more!

:D That's hilarious. A 29000 train giving a DART a lift!

The time from Connolly to Bray is 40-45mins on the DART with no toilets, its an extra 15mins from Connolly to Drogheda I dont think IE will care for that.

(I.E)From Howth to Bray on the DART with no toilets its longer.

dowlingm 12-02-2010 04:38

There's going to have to be more trains ordered post-interconnector, so the Hazelhatch-Drogheda ones could have a few more amenities, while the existing fleet take over Maynooth-Bray duties.

Colm Moore 12-02-2010 17:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by dowlingm (Post 53831)
There's going to have to be more trains ordered post-interconnector, so the Hazelhatch-Drogheda ones could have a few more amenities, while the existing fleet take over Maynooth-Bray duties.

These will be fitted with first class carriages with a smoothie bar, powder room and 42 inch TVs for rugger repeats.