Rail Users Ireland Forum

Rail Users Ireland Forum (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/index.php)
-   All stops to Thurles (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   [25-7-2007] 5:15 Cork-Dub & 7:20 Portlaoise-Dub (http://www.railusers.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=2805)

2Funki4Wheelz 25-07-2007 08:43

[25-7-2007] 5:15 Cork-Dub & 7:20 Portlaoise-Dub

Really dumb management of these trains this morning.

Announcement at Portarlington station at 7:20 that the Cork train is going to be 15 mins late.

The 7:20 ex-Portlaoise which doesn't stop in Portarlington went through about 5 mins ahead of the delayed Cork train.

The logic in this is baffling. The Cork train does not stop between Port and Heuston and very often makes up any late time on the way in.

Sticking it behind the Portlaoise train - which must have absolutely crawled and stops everywhere - turned the Cork train's 15 minute delay into a 30 minute one.

No apologies or awknowledgement of this on board and I didn't hear anything on the PA in Heuston although they may have announced it.

With all the padding in the timetables - both trains could have been on time if the Portaloise train had been held for a couple of minutes to let the Cork one through - it's so obvious!!:mad:

ooleary 25-07-2007 13:51

Was on the 8:14(ish) from Kildare to Dublin this morning. (I think - though it may have been the 8:10, I'm never quite sure). Departed late but arrived at around 8:58, 3 minutes late or 7 minutes early depending on which train it was. On arrival in Heuston there was an announcement on the Heuston PA apologizing for a delay, claiming, if I heard it right, that the delay was due to "a track error at Kildare"

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2Funki4Wheelz (Post 23664)
Really dumb management of these trains this morning.

Announcement at Portarlington station at 7:20 that the Cork train is going to be 15 mins late.

The 7:20 ex-Portlaoise which doesn't stop in Portarlington went through about 5 mins ahead of the delayed Cork train.

The logic in this is baffling. The Cork train does not stop between Port and Heuston and very often makes up any late time on the way in.

Sticking it behind the Portlaoise train - which must have absolutely crawled and stops everywhere - turned the Cork train's 15 minute delay into a 30 minute one.

No apologies or awknowledgement of this on board and I didn't hear anything on the PA in Heuston although they may have announced it.

With all the padding in the timetables - both trains could have been on time if the Portaloise train had been held for a couple of minutes to let the Cork one through - it's so obvious!!:mad:

StephenM 25-07-2007 14:40

So I take it they didn't use the middle track in Kildare to let the Cork train overtake...

2Funki4Wheelz 25-07-2007 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephenM (Post 23678)
So I take it they didn't use the middle track in Kildare to let the Cork train overtake...

I think our longest wait was outside Kildare. Using the middle track would have been using the head.